1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HELP! Why do I have Internet working to only some computers in my house?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by artGrl9, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. artGrl9

artGrl9 Thread Starter

I have Verizon DSL, with a Westell modem, for 2 PCs and a mac. The modem has 3 working ethernet ports. In ports 1 and 3, are the PCs (in the same room), in port 2 is a Linksys router for the mac (in a different room) to go wireless.

The mac is working fine. I tested every port with the mac that is connecting, so I know they're working. The PCs on the other hand, are not. They say they are connected with 100.00mbps, and they are sending and receiving packets. However, when I open my browsers (IE and Firefox) the browsers say they can't find the server or the page won't load. I've even attached the PCs to the ports on the router, with the same result. I've also 'pinged' the sites using the command prompt, but it can't find the sites either. Why aren't the PCs working? What should I do?

Any suggestions would be of great help and much appreciated. Thank you in advanced.:)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What version(s) of Windows and what Service Pack Level(s) are on the PCs?

What 3rd party firewall(s) is (are) on the PCs?

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Westell modem/router is not bridged (bypassing the router function), right?

4. artGrl9

artGrl9 Thread Starter

One computer has Windows XP, and a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller. The other has Windows 2000, and an Intel Pro/100+ Alert on LAN Management Adapter. As for third party firewalls, I'm not sure. I know for the actual connection, we have WEP security.

What IPCONFIG information do you need? Both computers are DHCP enabled, and Auto Configuration enabled.

Just to test, I had a 75 foot ethernet cable run from the modem to the mac, and the connection did not work. The mac could not connect through 802.1X. However, when I attached the router back to the modem, the mac connected wirelessly through airport.

I don't know if this helps, but prior to last week, when we had a storm and the power lines were worked on, all three machines were working perfectly fine.

And as far as I know, the Westell modem/router is not bridged.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "What IPCONFIG information do you need?"

See post #2.

"I don't know if this helps, but prior to last week, when we had a storm and the power lines were worked on, all three machines were working perfectly fine."

Raises the probability that both PCs failed (fried NIC or controller part of motherboard) at the same time. :(

6. artGrl9

artGrl9 Thread Starter

"Raises the probability that both PCs failed (fried NIC or controller part of motherboard) at the same time. ":(

Does it matter that when I tried to connect the mac to the modem with an ethernet cable that it did not work but, the mac connects wirelessly when the router is connected instead?

Should I get a new modem? I just find it weird that the router can get the internet signal, but when the computers (both PC and mac) are connected with ethernet cables, they don't work. :(

7. pllobell

pllobell

It's possible that ports 1 and 3 fried during the storm. Try attaching that Linksys in port to to port 1 or 3 and then report back. Further, we really need the information from post #2 to help you out.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Does it matter that when I tried to connect the mac to the modem with an ethernet cable that it did not work but, the mac connects wirelessly when the router is connected instead?"

Probably not. If you did not properly power cycle the modem when switching from router to computer then definitely not.

I thought you also successfully tested the MAC with ethernet and several of the router's ports: "I tested every port with the mac that is connecting, so I know they're working."

It sounded/sounds to me like you have tested and verified that cables are good, the router's wireless is good (which means the modem is good), and 3 out of 4 of the router's ethernet ports are good. Is part of this not true?

What is the MAC's IP address and what, according to the MAC, is the router's (or gateway's) IP address?

9. artGrl9

artGrl9 Thread Starter

I got the internet working again for all three computers! I basically had to hard reset everything; my modem and router, connect all three computers to the router, and reenter all of my info. Thanks to everyone who helped me out.

:D

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice