1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: help-windows 7- RIP from cd -wav- details media player.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by yonatanos, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yonatanos

yonatanos Thread Starter

how can i change the details of songs that i RIPed from original cd as wav in windows 7(media player the newest)?
    (it seems to be locked).
    edit the song:name,album year-name,artist name and so on.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

I do not believe that the standard Windows WAV file format supports embedding the kind of tags you are talking about within the file. Are you saying that checking the properties for some of your WAV files is showing information like song title and artist name but you can not change them, or are they just blank?

3. pip22

pip22

The original Audio CD will have "CD Text" encoded into the tracks. This displays the artist & song title on playback devices which can read CD Text.
    When you do a straight copy of an Audio CD to a blank CD-R, any existing CD Text gets faithfully copied as well.

Wave files (.wav) do not support CD Text, so when you rip a CD to wave format, the CD Text data is ignored.

You will need to convert the wave files to mp3 tracks if you want to embed artist & song-title information in to them.
    Once converted to mp3, you can then 'tag' the tracks with the track information using a utility such as "MP3Tag" from here:
    http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    FYI, CD Text may not exist on all audio CDs. It was introduced in 1996 as an extension of the original Red Book audio CD specification. As far as I can tell, it is optional and not a requirement to be included on audio CDs made after that date. Also, the CD Text data is in the lead-in area of the disc and not part of the individual audio tracks on the disc. There are publicly accessible databases that include information such as Album Title, Song Titles, Artist Name(s), etc. for CDs without the CD Text information. Ripping and player software with Internet access can generate a "digital fingerprint" of an Audio CD and check the database for a matching information of the disc contents.

5. yonatanos

yonatanos Thread Starter

so i cant change/edit the wav file properties in any way?

6. stantley

stantley

If you have a song in WMP you should be able to edit the artist/album information manually by double-clicking on each field or do an internet lookup to fill in the data. I know this works with WMP 11, but I don't have WMP 12 to do actual testing.

When you do this with an Mp3 file it updates the WMP database and the ID3 tags in the Mp3 file itself, however with a .wav file the data only resides in the WMP database since there are no ID3 tags in a .wav file.

7. yonatanos

yonatanos Thread Starter

but i can edit the HEADER of the wav file right?
    i heard that there are couple of ways to do this.
    with Audacity for example or even with media player...,mediamonkey,
    you people know more possibilities?

8. stantley

stantley

A wave file has a RIFF Info chunk that you can use.

Try MediaMonkey, according to their website:

9. yonatanos

yonatanos Thread Starter

but what the purpose of this?

10. stantley

stantley

I really don't see much purpose at all. You could store more meaningful data in a database instead. If I was going to store wave files I'd probably just put Artist, Album, Track Number and Track Title in the filename and be done with it.

Almost all of my music is in Mp3 format anyway. The files are much smaller and easier to work with.

11. yonatanos

yonatanos Thread Starter

but what about the quality? it means nothing?
    wav is a very quality format compared to mp3.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you tried used FLAC lossless compression? I believe it also supports tagging.

What equipment are you using to listen to your music files?

13. yonatanos

yonatanos Thread Starter

yes i tried flac and i think it dosent support tagging...i tried...with wmp
    (i listen to music in my car,at home with stereo system and headphones.

14. yonatanos

yonatanos Thread Starter

wikipedia:
    Beginning with Windows 2000, a WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE header was defined which specifies multiple audio channel data along with speaker positions, eliminates ambiguity regarding sample types and container sizes in the standard WAV format and supports defining custom extensions to the format chunk.[4][5][10]
    There are some inconsistencies in the WAV format: for example, 8-bit data is unsigned while 16-bit data is signed, and many chunks duplicate information found in other chunks.
    WAV files can contain embedded IFF "lists", which can contain several "sub-chunks".
    As a derivative of the Resource Interchange File Format (RIFF), WAV files can be tagged with metadata in the INFO chunk. In addition, WAV files can embed Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP).
    Unlike formats like flac, WAV files don't usually have information fields, for instance, in the case of a song, title, artist, album, year, etc..

15. yonatanos

yonatanos Thread Starter

but what is the
    the bottom line ?

i dont much familiar with sound matters.
    (forgive me on the quantity of my message)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice