1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help - Windows XP is stuck at the white bar at the bottom of the screen!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nightmare, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

I tried to create a new "profile" so I made a copy of the 'Profile 1" that I had in Windows system properties and called it GAME to configure my computer for gamming (not loading in all the extra crap like virus, updates, etc...). So I made the copy and exited windows so that I could sign on as GAME and set the hardware like I want.

After shutdown, I restarted and Windows asked which profile that I woul like to use. I choose GAME. Windows never fullly loaded and after about 20 minutes with no activity, I reset the system to go back to the old profile, "profile 1".

Now I can not get windows to boot into any profile, either GAME or Profile 1. I get down to the "Select Profile" screen and no matter what I choose, I can not boot into windows. All I get is the blasted white bar at the bottom of the screen. What am I to do?

AMD 4200+ Anthlon X2
    Windows XP SP2
    MSI K9MM-V
    Corsair TwinX 2X 1GB PC6400 (matched set)
    ATI X800XT

I am pretty sure it is Windows because all the hardware post and I get no 'beeps' from the BIOS.

Setup:

1 X Maxtor 100GB SATA (Primary IDE for boot) on channel 2.
    1 X Maxtor 60GB IDE (Secondary IDE) on channel 1, slave, storage disk.
    1 X CDROM IDE (Secondary IDE) on channel 1, master, CDROM

Even when I power off and restart, the first start I have the options to go into 'Safe Mode' but when I am asked for the "profile" of either GAME or Profile1, I still end up with the white bar at the bottom of the screen.

Help please? (BIOS IS set properly and reading as it should)

TIA
    :eek:

2. Sponsor

3. Anthony:-P

Anthony:-P

Hi and Welcome to TSG!
    What do you mean by copied it? As in right clicked the user profile and clicked copy, then pasted it somewhere.
    The easiest way to create a new profile is to go to start > run > control userpasswrods2 > add then add your new U/N. Also here you can set which group you want them to be with (degubbers, administrators, power users, users, limited account, and the list goes on.)
    What operating system are you running? (home or pro)
    Kind Regards
    Anthony

4. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

Copying a profile in the System Properties and naming it something new. Control Panel, System, Hardware, Hardware Profiles, Copy (and name profile), then restart into windows and try to boot with the new profile (should have worked because it was an identical copy of the original profile.

Windows XP (Home)

5. Anthony:-P

Ok.
    Have you tried booting in safe mode?
    on start up keep pressing f8, then select safe mode (also try last know good configuration).
    WHen i safe mode, do a system restore.

Kind Regards
    Anthony

6. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

Have tried Safe Mode with the F* and I can get to the screen that ask what I want to do (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Configuration, etc..). Whern I do that, I see that windows is trying to load because I see all this stuff happening on the screen and then I get to this part and it stops loading.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\c_1252.nls
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\c_437.nls
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\*_intl.nls

The * represents a caracter that I do not recgonize. It is not a 1 or an l but looks like a 'open bracket' [ without the upper extension to the right.

7. Anthony:-P

¬ would probably be the symbol. at a guess.
    when you get to the welcome screen, press ctrl+alt+del twice, and type administrator as the username.....If you can get in this way, you can edit your hard ware profiles.
    Kind Regards
    Anthony

8. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

I never make it to the welcom screen. It is looking like my boot file is somehow screwed. And the character is an l (lower case l, this displays differently in DOS then it does in wondoes).

I am groing to try to use a boot disk and see if I can repair the boot.ini file. Seems like the next logical step...

9. Anthony:-P

if you use the windows file and load up the recovery console, I will get you the dos command to rebuild the boot.ini file, unless you already have it.

Kind Regards
    Anthony

10. bbearren

bbearren

You can try a repair/reinstall (see the sticky at the top of the thread) and that will get you back to booting.

But a hardware profile is something you use to STOP certain HARDWARE from running. It doesn't stop any SOFTWARE from running, other than the drivers for the hardware that you choose not to enable.

What you're probably looking for is a new User for gaming.

11. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

You are absolutely right. I used a poor choice of words. And it is 'hardware' that I want to stop from loading like my second sound card, second lan network, etc...

Thanks for pointing that out:)

12. Anthony:-P

Ok to rebuild the boot.ini file.
    When in the repair console (by pressing r on installation CD boot up) enter your admin password and then type bootcfg /rebuild
    you should then be asked some of the things in the web quote below \/

Then type exit when finished to reboot.
    Failing this, try a repai installation.

Kind Regards
    Anthony

13. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

OK I rebuilt the boot.ini file as it was corrupt. However, now when I do a chkdsk it is showing "One or more errors on the volume" so I am in the middle of a chkdsk /r. Hopefully I can get into windows and at least save some of my files.

60% complete.

What led to this was that after I rebuilt the boot.ini, windows indicated bad file data on the disk drive(s). Looks like some files under windows go corrupt. I do not know the extent yet.

Sure wish I had a RAID backup right now.

14. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

OK I got to a DOS window and started the Install CD and went to the recovery console. I can get into the directories and such but now when I try to start windows, immediately after the Windows Loading Screen, I get the dreaded BSOD.

What is the command in DOS to get the Windows Restore to get going?

15. bbearren

bbearren

The Recovery Console is a bit clunky, and pretty much requires that you already know what is wrong and what needs to be done to correct it.

Your best bet is to do a repair/reinstall.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/527755