1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help with adding a video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Overnite1, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Overnite1

Overnite1 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I have an HP pc model H8-1010 with the OEM AMD Radeon HD 6450 video card and I was wondering I it would be possible to add another video card to one of the 3 PCI Express x1 slots for the purpose of capturing and recording video. Thank you for any help.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That wasn't a recommendation of one particular product, but an example, there are others available.

4. Overnite1

Overnite1 Thread Starter

Sorry for being so ignorant. If I add another video card like the one you suggested will it interfere with the other one at all, and would I need a separate monitor for it? Thank you for your help!

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a HP Pavilion HPE h8-1010 desktop.

Its motherboard has 1 - PCI Express x16 slot(already occupied with an AMD Radeon HD 6450 video card) and 3 - PCI Express x1 slots.

It has only a 300 watt power supply, so there lies a problem.

If the power supply can't handle the load of 2 video cards and/or the load of video editing, the computer will bluescreen or shut down or worse.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not adding another video card; you are adding a video capture card. They are not the same thing. A capture card is used for recording TV, converting vhs tapes to a video file ie mpeg, avi, etc. There is no monitor out connection from the capture card.

It would help if you posted EXACTLY what you want to accomplish ie converting video, recording TV, what.

7. Overnite1

Overnite1 Thread Starter

Sorry for being unclear about this. I would like to be able to record tv and convert my old video tapes to a dvd if possible. If I understand what you are telling me, a capture card and the software would do this, so do I need a bigger power supply if I add a capture card? Thank you for your help and patience.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would recommend a power supply upgrade. You are adding a new piece of hardware to a system that came with a power supply designed to run the hardware installed from the factory. putting added draw on the power supply. I would recommend a quality unit such as this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094
    Do not try to save a few bucks by purchasing a bargain basement $29 low quality unit. They are cheap for a reason, and they can cause problems.

9. Overnite1

Overnite1 Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your help and knowledge. I will purchase the suggested capture card and power supply so things should work out great. It's so nice to have a place like this where people help someone like me. Thanks Again!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice