1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: help with backups

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by grannytect, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grannytect

grannytect Thread Starter

How do I backup my service packs and updates. microsoft will no longer have updates for service pack 1. My cumputer is up to date, but my laptop i just restored and found out in order to used service pack 2 you have to have service pack 1. and if I need to restore my desktop I don't want to spend a week waiting for update just to find I'm not going to get all I need to run different programs like IE9. If you can help me please do. :p :confused: I tryed to burn to dvd and get it backup to my passport that I use for my desktop.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't back them up from your machine. You can only download them all from Microsoft.

But you really need only download service packs 1 and 2. They contain all the updates that preceded them and then the ones beyond SP2 will be available through Windows Update.

But you should have your systems backed up, anyway, because your hard drives will fail. Other problems could occur that cause you to lose everything on the drives. If you make a full system backup while the system is running well, you can restore that backup to your new hard drive. When the drive fails, your recovery partition on the hard drive will be lost, too.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

3. grannytect

grannytect Thread Starter

Thank you foryour help.:eek:

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're welcome.

Just save the 2 service packs and you will have 90% of the updates already. Recent ones will then be all you will need.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

5. Dianiysom

Dianiysom

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice