1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help with Belkin Wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mike5scotland, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike5scotland

mike5scotland Thread Starter

Hi guys - hoping some of you can help me with the problem im having - ive tried to search the internet for a solution and tried loads of things but to no avail.

I have a Vista laptop and im trying to setup a Wireless router in my flat. I have a Belkin F5D763-4 router.

My parents have the same router set up in their house and I can access that fine with my computer wirelessly.

I am currently running a Tiscali wired connection for the internet which runs fine.

I go through all the setup options on the Belkin instructions but when I try to connect to the router it gives a message saying connected with limited connectivity. From looking around the internet this seems to be a common problem.

I dont know if this is relevant but when i tried to set up the router via the network car and cable on my PC it would not connect to the router unless i had the wired modem connected through USB and an inernet connection established.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. Xyzek

Xyzek

With the router connected to the modem and your laptop connected to the router wirelessly, what does it say under 'Internet Status' (top right corner) when you go to 192.168.2.1 in Internet Explorer?

3. mike5scotland

It says "no connection"

4. Xyzek

Xyzek

Some ideas:

Is the ethernet cable from the modem to the router plugged into the green coloured ethernet port/port labelled 'WAN'?

Have you tried powering down your modem and router, then turning on your modem (without the laptop connected) and THEN turning on your router (in that strict order)? If not, does that fix it?

If that doesn't work, does powering down your modem and router, then powering up your router THEN modem (in that strict order) fix it?

What is the connection type set to? Go to 192.168.2.1 > Internet WAN > Connection Type. If it is set to 'Dynamic', change it to 'PPPoE' and try that setting.

From 192.168.2.1 router config page, click 'Internet WAN' > 'MAC Address', and then the 'Clone' button. Restart everything in the orders I just described. Does that fix the problem?

5. mike5scotland

Firstly thank for the reply..

Not sure what you mean in the first point - I have the wired modem plugged in to the usb on my computer so i can access the net for help using this. This connection to the net needs to be present to allow me to access 192.168.2.1. When I finish configuring the router to test it i unplug the usb modem - put the phone line input into the DSL port on the back of the wireless router and remove the cable between my network card and the wireless router used for configuration.

ive tried powering down router and reboting computer several times - nothing changes.

For the third point - I cannot find the options to clone mac address in the setup version i have. When i click 'Internet WAN' i get 2 options - 'connection type' or 'DNS' - none of these links takes me near a 'MAC address' option.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To access the router (192.168.2.1) all you should need is an ethernet cable to a LAN port or a wireless connection. No internet needed for that.

What model is your Belkin router? Some of your description makes it sound like it is a modem/router combo.

I'm confused about whether you are having trouble connecting to the router via ethernet and/or connecting via wireless and/or getting the router to connect to your ISP. Please clarify.

7. mike5scotland

Again, thanks for the response.

my router is a belkin ASDL modem with high speed mode wireless G router built in so it is a modem/router combo.

For some reason i cannot access the 192.168.2.1 unless i have an internet connection as internet exploer just keeps telling me that an internet connection is not available as it must think the IP is external.

I can ping it from the run command and get the satisfactory response. so why IE is giving me a hard time i dont know.

I am having trouble connecting to the internet using the wireless modem router combo.

I can access the internet no problem when i plug in the standard wire modem i got free from my ISP.

I have now progressed and managed to get my computer to connect to the local network via wireless. (Checking the WEPKEY seemed to work) but it didnt work when I had disabled the protection so Im confused by this but still hapy it made a difference.

the problem i am now faced with is that i cannot access the internet via this router/modem but i appear to be a step on from where i was earlier today.

The claim on the box is that the modem/router takes 3 minutes to set up haha - ive been at it for more than 3 days now.:D

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With your computer connected to the router via wireless and ethernet please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

9. mike5scotland

Thanks for the response - here are the results:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mike>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mike-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter Tiscali Broadband:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Tiscali Broadband
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 79.67.179.118(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.139.132.5
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI-E Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-7E-D4-76-44
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet
    Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-80-44-D1-CD
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{8B077067-F50A-4F85-9A41-8F96FE4A4
    5C1}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{F958F15D-EEB5-416C-B744-70E690D86
    59B}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::200:5efe:79.67.179.118%20(Preferred
    )
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:4f43:b376::4f43:b376(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is the actual model of that router, since Belkin doesn't know about the model you posted. Also, I'm confused about the USB connection, what's that all about?

11. mike5scotland

Appologies - there was a typo with the router model it is F5D7633-4

The USB is what I have to plug my USD modem into to get on the net (the small "speed touch" modem i got free from Tiscali).

The point I was making with that was when i connect my wireless/modem router to the computer vis the network card using a cable it did not access the IP of the router unless an internet connection was established - so i plugged the small speedtouch modem back into USB and it worked fine.

Trying to access 192.168...... wihout internet connection present just came up with "There is no connection to internet present - do you wan to connect or work offline etc". Obvioulsy IE7 is setup so it doesnt even try to find anything that is in the addres bar unless a connection is present first.

I disconnected inernet connection and just had belkin modem/router connected via cable and pinging the router IP it came back ok.

Terry - just for clarification - do you want the router etc plugged in to cmputer via cable to do test or does it not matter?

Thanks

12. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

This is starting to sound really confusing.

Taking your USB modem out of the picture completely. You should be able to conect your modem directly to your Network card and access teh routers setup page by entering the default IP which would normally be 192.168.0.1 unless its been changed. In order to reset the router you should have a reset switch on the outer shell of the router somewhere. This will take it back to factory settings for you to set it up from scratch.

Other than this if you are able to access the router setup pages. Make sure all your internet settings are correct for a start including username and password etc aswell as dialing number.
    Next thing then to check is that obviously you are trying to access it wirelessly aswell, so please make sure the wlan is fully enabled within the router settings and that you have the correct details and key needed for your wireless ecurity settings.

Once this has all been set, you may need to reboot your router before connection will work properly, although some routers do not need you to do this.

The disconnect the router from network card and try to conenct wirelesly entering the correct security key.

It should connect no problem, although like i say you may well want to reset your router completely and start from scratch following the same instructions as above. Just to make sure.

13. mike5scotland

Sorry for the confusion.

The first problem i had was i was unable to connect directly to the modem through a cable using internet explorer 7 - it kept telling me it could not connect as no internet connection was available. Same as it would do it you put google in the search bar and hit return with no internet connection. I tried selecting "work offline" from tools menu but made no difference.

Like i say when i tried ping the router IP address with no internet connection and just the cable the reponse was ok.

Must be a setting in IE7 prventing this - might this be the problem (or at least a starting point to rule out)

thanks

mike

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about doing this:

Turn OFF the modem and the computer. Connect the modem directly to the computer, turn on the modem, wait for a data light, turn on the computer. Post another IPCONFIG /ALL after it boots.

15. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

So your having trouble even logging into your router correct?

Another thing to look at if its IE7 thats causing the problem. Check
    tools menu, internet options, connections tab check the lan settings button and make sure for a start that theres no boxes ticked in there.
    Another thing to check is that your previous connection wasnt using a static IP. It maybe that your router will more than likely be using DHCP but you PC may be trying to use a static IP address.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice