1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help with connecting multiple computers via one USB720 modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 97LincolnTC, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 97LincolnTC

97LincolnTC Thread Starter

Back on Sept. 3& 4, 2007, TerryNet helped Nurseratchet59 to start solving the problem described above. I couldn't see if the problem was solved, and I have the same question.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    AMD Athlon 950 MHz home-built system
    SMC 10/100 Ethernet card
    Belkin G+ MIMO Wireless Router with 4 Ethernet ports on back of Router
    Verizon Novatel USB720 modem
    Dell Latitude Laptop (D410) with Wireless network capability onboard

Same situation. I live in a rural area where DSL and Cable are not available. Hence the purchase of the Novatel USB720 Modem (with 2 year contract).

I can't figure out how to use the G+ MIMO Router as an "Ethernet Switch" so that I can connect through my Desktop / Router out to the Internet through the USB720 Modem.

HELP?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I assume you're planning on using ICS to share the dial-up connection? If so, consider the machine with ICS and the dial-up connection as the primary router and configure the router as follows, considering it as the secondary router.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

3. 97LincolnTC

Thanks! I have tried to carry out your instructions, but am having some difficulty. Not sure what you mean by "neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports" but I will have to try the cross-over cable to see if it fixes the situation.

My Belkin Routher has an "Access Point" feature, which the manual describes in much the same way you have described bypassing the "NAT layer" to configure the Router as a switch. When I enabled the "access Point" feature and set the IP address as you suggested, re-booted the router and the computer and tried to ping the address, the ping command "timed out." Perhaps this has to do with my not using a crossover cable between my PCI Ethernet card and the Router's LAN port.

I very much appreciate your help and will be back in touch with more questions.

4. 97LincolnTC

OK, back again. Yes, I'm using ICS to share the dial up connection. Using the crossover cable (which I presume is the kind of cable one uses in a "peer to peer" mini network with only two computers and no network hub) did not solve the problem and the ping request timed out again.

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed now. Is there any specific info you require from me that might help you diagnose the situation further? Thanks -

JT

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With the computer to router connection you use a straight (patch) cable.

I haven't used a Belkin in Access Mode, so don't know just how that works.

I have used JohnWill's procedure and know that works. With ICS enabled on your PC, a regular cable connected to a router LAN port, the Dhcp server disabled and the router's LAN address set to 192.168.0.254 this should work. You should be able to ping 192.168.0.254 and other computers connected to the router should have internet access.

For the PC with ICS enabled please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

6. 97LincolnTC

TerryNet:

I'm now using a patch cable.
    Ran the Belkin Setup assistnat to manually cinfigure the IP address to 192.168.0.254 / Subnet 255.255.255.0 and cannot ping the router. Also can't connect to the Router's Web-type configuration page through INternet explorer / 192.168.0.254 address to make any other changes. Here is the IPCONFIG /all info you rquested:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . .: CLINT
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . .: Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled . . . : No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection Specific DNS Suffix . .:
    Description . . . .. . . . . . . .: SMC EX Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series)
    Physical Address . . . . . . . . .: 00-E0-29-4F-94-6A
    DHCP Enabled . . . . . . . . . . .: NO
    IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

The Belkin setup assistant program does not have any options to disable DHCP Server or to otherwise bypass the "NAT Layer" that John Will described in his message.

However, the "Use as Access Point" feature has language that seems conceptually identical to JohnWill's instructions' expected result. HEre is the clip form the Belkin manual for Access Point feature:

Using the Access Point Mode
    Note: This advanced feature should be employed by advanced users only. The
    Router can be configured to work as a wireless network access point. Using
    this mode will defeat the NAT IP sharing feature and DHCP server. In AP mode,
    the Router will need to be configured with an IP address that is in the same
    subnet as the rest of the network that you will bridge to. The default IP address
    is 192.168.2.254 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. These can be customized
    for your need.
    1. Enable the AP mode my selecting “Enable” in the “Use as Access
    Point only” page. When you select this option, you will be able to
    change the IP settings.
    2. Set your IP settings to match your network. Click “Apply Changes”.
    3. Connect a cable from the LAN port on the Router to your
    existing network.
    The Router is now acting as an access point. To access the Router advanced
    user interface again, type the IP address you specified into your browser’s
    navigation bar. You can set the encryption settings, MAC address filtering,
    SSID, and channel normally.

I have tried changing the default IP Address for Access Point mode from 192.168.2.254 to 192.168.0.254 and rebooted both the router and the computer, with no success. I think that the IP Pool stayed at 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100.

Next Step? Thanks -

7. 97LincolnTC

Sorry, one more note.

To run IPCONFIG, I had to click Start/Run/Command and then type IPCONFIG /all at the command prompt. If I tried to simply direct IPCONFIG from th run option in Windows Start Menu, the command screen would flash briefly and disappear.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Lots of people have tried to run ipconfig from the Run window and discovered that we really mean it when we say, "Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt: ..." . :) I will bold part of that to see if it helps.

One obvious, but I'm guessing unlikely, possibility is that you have a 3rd party firewall (internet security) configured to allow 192.168.2.x access but not 192.168.0.x.

I see I made an assumption before (without realizing it), so let me try again ...

For the PC with ICS enabled and the internet connection enabled please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

9. 97LincolnTC

Sorry for being a dullard. I'll make sure I follow your suggested keystrokes in boldface this evening when I get back home to that silicon-based lifeform I call a computer! ;-)

10. 97LincolnTC

TerryNet:

Glad you made the comment about an internet security firewall. I have two different firewalls. I've created a rule to allow access to 192.168.0.x and was suddenly able to access the router's web-page style configuration controls.

Here is the result of the IPCONFIG /all command:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

H:\>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CLINT
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Seri
    es)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-29-4F-94-6A
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

PPP adapter Verizon:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.210.255.177
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 75.210.255.177
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.174.92.14
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

H:\>

I have enabled WPA2-PSK security with AES encryption on the router. My laptop can see the router but I get a message from it saying there is limited or no connectivity, thought he signal strength is "Very Good". SInce I get the Limited / no connectivity message from the laptop, I can't tell my firewalls on the desktop the address to trust to let it through.

Thanks for your help! Seems we're making some progress.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The address should be 192.168.0.x, probably 192.168.0.2.

Your laptop does support WPA2, right?

Running multiple firewalls on one computer is a recipe for trouble; they can get jealous of each other and fight for control.

12. 97LincolnTC

Regarding the address: I used JohnWill's recommended address - 192.168.0.254.

Thought you used the "x" to created a measure of security for this communication, seeing as how it is a public forum.

Configured rules for both firewalls that now have let me connect through to the internet. The firewalls seem to be pretty slow in providing a notification, if any, about an intrusion.

We're about to see if a reboot of the Laptop will change anything....

It did. The Laptop can't connect to the Router - "Limited or no connectivity"

I set general rules in the Norton Internet Security Personal Firewall to allow two-way communication through the router's address of 192.168.0.254 for both TCP and UPD.

Here is the IPCONFIG info again. I don't think anything changed except the infoirmation for this morning's connection to Verizon.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

H:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CLINT
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Seri
    es)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-29-4F-94-6A
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

PPP adapter Verizon:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.211.185.139
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 75.211.185.139
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.174.92.14
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

H:\>

Any other info you might need to help resolve this? It's looking like this might now be a personal firewall issue with Nortin Internet Security, and I'm not sure precisely what to do with the rule settings. Thanks!

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    192.168.0.2 is the address that I expect to be assigned to the laptop.

Norton Internet Security seems to be one of the better firewalls for blocking whatever you want to do on your network. Or maybe that's just because the cases we see here are where the customer hasn't yet learned to configure it.

I recommend that you disable encryption until you get your firewall issues sorted. Divide and conquer!

14. 97LincolnTC

Need to know more about your comment "192.168.0.2 is the address that I expect to be assigned to the laptop."

The Dell Wireless Network manager actually displayed 192.168.0.245 (yes that's 2 4 5 where the Belkin Router is using .254) to the laptop's wireless connection while it was originally connected and was able to access the internet that first time. After a reboot of bothe the desktop and laptop, the IP address the Laptop acquired as something completely unrelated to the range of the 192.168.0.1 series.

I'll disable encryption until I get the firewall issue sorted out.

Planning to contact Norton Tech Support in a couple of hours to see if they can help me with the firewall settings to configure the network.

Thanks again for your help.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The computer with ICS enabled acts as a simple router and Dhcp server, assigning IP addresses between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254 inclusive. Most times it seems to start with .2. I don't have any clue as to why it mostly seems to start with .2, but sometimes is random.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice