1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HELP with Explorer issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mreddys10, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

hi,
    I am new here. I have a laptop running Windows XP Home Edition. I just got into a little trouble with my explorer. Whenever I double-click on a folder, it opens in a new window, not in the same one. I even changed "folder option>>general>>open each folder in same window" but with no result.

I was actually trying to change the icon for the 'file folder' and I dont really know what I did (went to 'folder options>>file types>>file folder>>advanced>>change icon....but I changed the icon back to the original icon again) , but from that time, I am unable to change it back to open folders in the same window. In the 'actions' (folder options>>file types>>file folder>>advanced) section (after i changed the icon) all I could see was a 'find' option. It was opening 'search' window every time I double clicked on a folder, so I created a new action called open and selected 'explorer' as the application to use and then set this 'open' as default. Although it solved the initial problem of opening the 'search' window, it still opens every folder in a new window.

PLEASE HELP!!! This is really annoying!! I know i shouldn't be messing around with this but i did :)
    Oh, and I have BricoPacks Vista Inspirat 2 installed for the last 2 months without any problems

2. Athan

Athan

Hello and welcome to TSG

Please try the fix at line 209 !!

hope this works for you

all the best

~a

3. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

hi, thanks for the help, but i dont really know wat to do with that fix....can u pls help?

4. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Hi, i downloaded the fix by 'save target as' and saved it is a .vbs file like the site said and then double-clicked on it. i got the following msg:
    Script: C:\.........
    Line: 1
    Char: 18
    Error: Expected end of statement
    Code: 800A0401
    Source Microsoft VBScript compilation error

5. Athan

Athan

Copy and paste the fix on a notepad and then change the extension from .txt to .reg !
    Once you have done that just double click on the .reg file and it will make the registry changes automatically.

you might need to reboot !

6. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

did as u told me to, but no change in the situation :(

7. Athan

Athan

In line 206 just click on where it says SAME . You will see

when you have copy/pasted this on the notepad then refer to my earlier post !

~a

8. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

hi,
    sorry to sound so dumb, but i opened it with notepad and saved the file again as .reg and ran that file. it made a change to the registry as u said, but my folders are still opening in new windows

9. Athan

Athan

Its a long shot, but please download the Folder association fix from here ! (10th from top )

and let us know if this fixes your issue

~a

10. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

downloaded the folder association fix and ran the .reg file, but still no change. its opening the C:\ from my computer in the same window, but any folder inside this drive is opening in a new window

11. Athan

Athan

did you reboot after running the reg file ?

~a

12. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

i rebooted after running the reg file and then i ran the first reg file again and did the same again, but its still the same

13. Athan

Athan

OK, here's my final shot !

navigate to

Start > Run > Type regedit > hit OK

in the registry editor Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

On the right you will see ab ( default ) > double click on it > a window called Edit string will pop up > in the value data field type none and hit OK.

reboot !

and post back

~a

14. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

woh!!! that was awesome dude.....thanks a lot. Solved the problem completely.

BUT......i have a new problem now.....was tryin earlier to use system restore in the hope of fixing this, and THERE ARE NO RESTORE POINTS!!! i just created one 4 days ago and its not there. wat is going on with my laptop?

15. Athan

Athan

Right click on my computer > Properties > System restore Tab !
    Is the Turn Off system Restore on all drives option checked or unchecked ?

~a

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice