1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] help with IRQ

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by khiam, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. khiam

khiam Thread Starter

I set up a 2nd printer by installing the card in a parallel port. NOw my cdrom won't work. I disconnect the printer and CDROM comes back. I've tried changing slots but no use. I am not familiar with IRQ. How do I check if there's a conflict and how do I fix it? I'm running WinME

My thanks in advance

Karen

2. Mavrick88

Mavrick88

You can check for conflicts by right clicking on the "My Computer" icon and going to properties. Then click on the TAB that says "Device Manager". You should see a list of hardware there. If anything isn't working right you will see it with an "!" next to it. As to why I am sure it's an IRQ problem and I am not really good with those, I am sure these guys can help. They seem to know what's going on! Hope I helped!

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What os are you using? From your post I take it that you installed a card that gives you more parallel ports to hookup a printer. Have you tried to move the card to another slot on the mb?
    Check in device manager and see if your card and cd drive have any yellow marks next to them.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That doesn't make sense.....the cdrom should not be affected by a parallel port card.....where does the cdrom plug into? The motherboard, or by some strange chance, the soundcard?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm wondering if this is an electrical grounding issue? If you plug in the cable to the printer, but unplug it from the power, does it still affect the CD?

6. khiam

khiam Thread Starter

The CDROM came with the computer and I haven't looked as to where it's connected. I've tried moving the card to different slots - no help. When the 2nd printer is plugged into the card receptor the CDROM shows a red "NO" sign over it - I can't even open the drive. When I unplug the printer cable and restart the CDROM returns, never fails. The device manager shows no conflict. I think form reading other posts that's it may be an IRQ conflict - but here's the hard part - What the hell is that and how do I fix it? (lack of in depth computer knowledge showing through) HELP!

Thanks a bunch!
    Karen

7. ~Candy~

The only way it can be an IRQ conflict, is if the cdrom would connect to a sound card, and the lpt port is trying to pick up the same IRQ number.

Or, in the very remote possibility, the cdrom is attached to it's own gray cable, to the motherboard, and the lpt card is trying to pick up IRQ 15........

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.....do this with the LPT port card installed......

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just wondering if one or both of the printers are usb capable? If so you could try using one as usb and the other as parallel.
    You will need to open the case and look to see how your cd drive is attached. If it is the normal ide type of drive you could try and set it as a slave to the hd. There are various configurations of ide devices that are acceptable.
    Have you tried to disconnect the cd drive, get the card working with both printers then reconnect and let windows reinstall your cd drive?

9. khiam

khiam Thread Starter

OK the CDROM runs to the motherboard by that grey ribbon cable, it attaches into the slot next to the hard drives cable. The IRQ is as follows

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101 /102 Key or Microsoft Natural keyboard OK
    IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
    IRQ 3 Communications port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 5 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
    IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk COntroller OK
    IRQ 7 Printer Port LPT1 OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
    IRQ 9 Intel 82801AA SMBus controller OK
    IRQ 9 Crystal WDM Audio Codec OK
    IRQ 9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCl IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 10 Intel(R) 82810 Graphics Controller OK
    IRQ 10 Netgear FA311 Fast Internet PCl Adapter OK
    IRQ 10 NetMos PCl 9805 Parallel Port OK
    IRQ 10 NetMos Parallel Port (LPT2) OK
    IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCl IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCl IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 11 Intel(r) 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCl IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric Data Processor OK
    IRQ 14 Intel 82801 AA Bus Master IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo) OK
    IRQ 15 Intel 82801 AA Bus Master IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo) OK

10. ~Candy~

IRQ 10 Intel(R) 82810 Graphics Controller OK
    IRQ 10 Netgear FA311 Fast Internet PCl Adapter OK
    IRQ 10 NetMos PCl 9805 Parallel Port OK
    IRQ 10 NetMos Parallel Port (LPT2) OK

Well, I don't particularly like that combo, but I don't think it could have anything to do with your problem.....did you do as suggested? Leave the printer attached to the port, but turn the power off from the printer?

11. khiam

khiam Thread Starter

yep

now I'm trying to disconnect the CDROM, attach the printers , which are both working , and reconnecting the CDROM for the computer to find

12. khiam

khiam Thread Starter

reconnected CDROM ribbon to MB and still not working. There's the "NO" sign over the CDROM icon in the lower right hand corner and My Computer doesn't have a CDROM assigned

13. ~Candy~

In device manager (with the cdrom connected) are there any yellow exclamation marks or red x's?

And to be sure, when you turn the problem printer off, you are disconnecting electrical power from the wall too....

another thing, can you swap printers to the other LPT port?

14. khiam

khiam Thread Starter

There's 1 yellow ! under imaging devices - IntelPC Camera Pro. That's my husband's camera which he never got working. Could that be interferring? Otherwise DM is normal. It doesn't even show CDROM when the printers and CDROM are connected. If I disconnect the 2nd printer the CDROM returns to the DM.

15. ~Candy~

On that device, can you select 'disable in this hardware profile' then restart the computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice