1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Help with Knoppix STD

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ustacp, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

Can someone explain to me how to setup a internet connection on Knoppix STD. I am using a cable modem. Thank you.

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

how is the modem connected?
    ps in ur sig shouldnt it be HOOAH!

3. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

I forgot what it is called but its connected with the bigger phone line looking cable lol. Not the USB. Running straight into my motherboard. I am using Winxp as my main OS. Is that the answer that you wanted? Yeah the "HUA" means (Heard Understood Acknowledged)

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

oh. well as a starter windows and linux are 100% separate. what you do in windows will not affect knoppix at all. you are connnected via ethernet. (your network card). To set up your internet for knoppix run the appropriate network setup utility (under knoppix config net)

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Try, from the commandline either dhclient or dhcpcd eth0. (I can't remember which is on knoppix)

6. lynch

lynch

Try this:
    1. Open a terminal and type su -
    2. type net-config
    3.Be ready to give answers to the following Qs:
    a. Are you using dhcp? (dont think there'll be any other Qs if you say "yes")
    b. If you said "no" have your IP address, netmask, nameserver IPs and your
    gateway IP(if your on a router). You'll be asked for these things.
    If you are hooked directly to your cable modem then you are most likely using dhcp.
    HTH
    lynch

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

also make sure eth0 is up by using ifconfig.

8. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

How do I get to the command prompt? When I try and config my network card it says it cannot be detected.

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

well command promp is basically terminal or konsole or somthing but it should be ez to acces in knoppix.

10. lynch

lynch

There should be an icon on the bottom panel that looks like a monitor with a shell in front of it. Or it may be just an icon that looks like a monitor. Click that.
    lynch

11. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

Heres an update for eveyone. I have tried every linux out there and was only able to get the regular knoppix to connect to the internet. Well, I went to try and install knoppix to my hard drive so that I did not need the boot disks. To my amazment I put knoppix std in by accendent. After it finshed loading up I decided to try the internet one more time, and wala it works now for some weird reason. I dont know what I did to get it to work or how I did it. All I know is it is working now. Thanks for all the help everyone. Next project is trying to get Fedora to work now lol.

12. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

13. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

OK final update for all who has helped me out. For some reason Knoppix STD detected my Internet connection finally, which is good. I'm not sure how but its working :) . I want to thank everyone for helping me out.

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

good. thats much better. thought kinda ood b/c usually things like that dont happen.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!