Solved: help with networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

eke21

good day!
I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop pc sharing internet through LINKSYS WIRELESS G BROADBAND ROUTER...
the laptops use wireless connection for the router and the desktop is connected to the router via rj45 cable...
my question is that, can i setup the 3 computers to a network so that I could share files with each other... and how?
all computers are using windows xp professional edition...
thanx!

there's a really easy way to do this..

www.networkmagic.com at least give the trial a spin. (make sure you disable ALL software firewalls though)

there are more complicated ways of doing this just using windows.

eke21

wow! this is a great soft! but its only a trial...
and i am really curious and wants to know how to setup network using windows... could you please teach me?

all u have to do is go to My Network Places and run Set up a small home network on all computers......make sure u give all computers the same Workgroup Name....something like HOME works perfectly....once u do that...ure set to share folders...to actually share a folder....right click on the folder u want to share with all pcs and click properties, the go to Sharing, and check the box "Share this folder on the Network"...and Apply or OK....and ure almost there....to make the folder accessible on all computers u have to map it....to do that go to my computer->then go to Tools->Map Network Drive->then for Drive: pick any letter....and for folder click browse, then click on the + of Entire network, then click on + of Microsoft Windows Network, then click on + of HOME..or wtv u called it...then + on the pc where the folder u want to share is and then click on the folder and press OK...and thats it....a new icon should show up on My Computer....now u can make shortcuts or change the icon or anything with that folder...hope this helped

eke21 said:
wow! this is a great soft! but its only a trial...
and i am really curious and wants to know how to setup network using windows... could you please teach me?
sorry, i should have helped rather than referring you to 3rd party software. that's what TSG's about

eke21

thats ok michael, i already done the network setup on my desktop... the problem arises when i try to configure my laptop..

In my laptop, i cant view the "network setup wizard" on control panel that's why I use the "wireless network setup wizard"...
I saw the "network setup wizard" on start->all progs->accesories->communications... and when i try to run it, it says:
"The wizard detected that this computer belongs to a domain. Therefore you cannot use this wizard to set up a network"

when i try to use the "wireless network setup wizard" in my laptop the choices were:
-setup a new wireless network
-add new computers or devices to the "***" network (*** is an existing network, i think)

what should i do?

how will I solve this?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online