1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: help with permissions (file sharing, Win 8)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by remarkrp, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remarkrp

remarkrp Thread Starter

Can someone point me to some good documentation regarding file sharing permissions in W 7 or W8? For example, what is an "object"? I wanted to authorize hp7250/myid on my old W7 box to access my C drive in my W 8 box. No matter what "object name" I enter, it tells me it cannot be found. Also in "locations" it only shows me the name of the box I'm on, none of the others in my network. I've read the Microsoft helps, no help there. I've got several books on W 7, none of them explain this stuff satisfactorily. I had all sorts of sharing on my W7 boxes but since I got a new W8 computer, I'm going nuts because it seems that anything that worked on W7 no longer works, or works differently on W8. My W7 boxes can access each other's C: drives. I bought a new W8 box, it could access one W7 C: drive but not the other. That computer was defective ( card reader didn't work) so I took it back and replaced it with another (bigger, faster model, both running 64 bit W8). This new one can now access NEITHER C: drives on my W7 boxes. Windows 8 is driving me insane. Wait, I think I'm already there. I need help!

2. gurutech

gurutech

Both computers need to be on either the "Home" or "Work" network type. Not "Public".
    Both computers must be in the same workgroup (can be any name, as long as they are the same)
    File sharing must be turned on for each computer.
    When connecting to one computer from the other, you may be asked to "login" to that computer. Use a username/password from that computer (not from the one you are on). ie. If you are on DESKTOP1 and want to view shared files on DESKTOP2, you need to connect to DESKTOP2 as "DESKTOP2\user2" and that password, even if you are logged into DESKTOP1 as "user1".

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that the practical answer (w.r.t. file sharing or permissions) is "a user account on this machine." If the user account only exists on a different system then create it on this machine (you don't have to ever use it, but you do need to create it). If the other machine is Windows 8 and the user account is a Microsoft account instead of a local account I have no idea how to make that work.

Short description for Windows 7 and 8 file and printer sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private' (or 'Home' or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Private or Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

4. remarkrp

remarkrp Thread Starter

OK, all three of my computers are in a "home" network and in the same workgroup, "myhouse".

File sharing is turned on on all three

I am never presented with a logon screen when trying to access the C: drive on W7 from my W8 box.
    My W8 box "sees" the shares on my two W7 boxes but when I try to expand the C: share in file explorer I
    get a "NETWORK ERROR" window saying; "Windows cannot access..." and "you do not have permission..."
    I can, however, access the (K: thumbdrive) on the W7 box from W8

From my old W7 box I have no trouble accessing the C:; the printer share; and the K: usb thumbdrive on
    the W7 box where my printer is attached

Nothing has changed on my 2 W7 boxes and I can access the C: share on each from the other. On my W8 box,
    I can access the C: on one W7 box but not the one that has the printer. I also cannot print from my W8
    box to the W7 shared printer although I never had any problems with the W7 box. I also never had any
    problems sharing the printer on those two boxes when they were on XP, before I upgraded them to W7.

On W8 there is no "home or work" sharing category, instead there are 3 (not 2 like in W7) categories
    "Private" "Guest or Public" and "all networks"

5. remarkrp

remarkrp Thread Starter

some more info, and this is weird, or is it by design of Windows 8? If it's by design, I think it's really goofy.

When I first set up my W8 box, I accidentally made my first account, an admin account, a Microsoft account. I didn't really intend to but continued anyway. It took my name as the userid, which I've never done before but OK, I guess. Now I just went and built myself a second admin account using the userid I've always been using thru Win NT, XP, and Win 7 and made it a "local" (not Microsoft) account. Guess what! It has full access to the W7 box C: drive just like I did in XP and W7. But my Microsoft admin id and my local standard id still can't. Seems like something's really screwy here.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My guess is that the "something" is Windows 8.

7. remarkrp

remarkrp Thread Starter

Actually it's not really solved, the problem still exists but I'll have to work around it until I can figure out what's changed in Windows 8 regarding (??? security?, shared printers?, etc. etc. ??) Nothing has changed on my wife's W7 computer but I can't access her hard drive or her printer from my new W8 box, but I could from my old W7 box. Same standard id (not admin, not Microsoft acct).

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you have pass worded user accounts on ALL of these machines?

9. remarkrp

remarkrp Thread Starter

I have the same accounts on all 3 machines. My account and my wife's account, both standard, un-passworded accounts. My wife and I use these accounts for nearly everything we do. I also have a passworded admin account on all the machines that I use only occasionally for installing programs and that sort of thing.

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Since Vista, the OS's have been much happier when the user accounts are passworded and have the same user account names and passwords on all machines.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!