1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: help with restore module please b4 i rip out my eyes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xxjonahxx, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

i came back after leaving my pc downloading for a few hours,
    then all i got was the blue pre-lohin windows xp page..i looked through a lot of sites and realsied that using the xp cd to reocver could work now i am stuck on a blue screen tellnig me to chkdsk
    this is the stop screen thing) etc i have basiacally tuired everything i have seen on the net and no luck...

what i realyl need to find out is how can i recover my files from windows xp i,e burn them onto cds etc ...i really really really dont want to wipe ny hard drive tyo reinstall xp
    please help tell me if this is possible!

2. pjblevin

pjblevin

xx: Don't rip your eyes out just yet! If you've got your XP cd handy, just pop it into the drive. (You first gotta make sure that your PC will boot to the CD drive......go into "setup" on the initial screen to make sure.) When you boot to the CD, ignore the first prompt to "repair". Click on "setup". After installing setup files, you'll be prompted to either reinstall windows, or repair. Choose "repair". Your PC will run as if it's reinstalling Windows (which, in a sense, it is), but you will retain ALL of your personal settings and ALL of your files. At this point, assuming all goes well, you can decide what to do.

pjblevin

3. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

hey thank but ive allready tried that idea...everything went fine like you said but afterwards when rebooting i came across for the first time a blue windows stop screnn i think its called it has lots of 0x0000000A this type thing and just tells me to reboot...where i will jsut get thissame\screen again or to run chkdsk..i used to have sp1 and 2 on my xp but i removed them a while ago is there a chance remnatns from this is what is conflicting with xp...this is something i have read about peopel with sp2 having that problem...i tried to uninstall the sp but none of the files are there to get rid of..or i dont know how to or what there called!....is there a way i can just get my needed files to cds via the dos prompt cos i have pretty much given up and i think i might but nother os next payday xp has nearly made me cry many times over

p.s i got home 2day at 1300 and it is now 2353 i have looked At any relevant webpages but i cantfind anything that wil lhelp me ALL THAT TIME

4. pjblevin

pjblevin

XX: I don't know what's wrong with your situation, nor how to fix it. But......don't give up!!! If you can't boot to Windows, you can still retrieve your personal files from your harddrive. There are software programs to do this. I've never tried them myself, but they're out there. DON'T GIVE UP YOUR HARD-DRIVE.

pjblevin

5. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

no the whole point of this is that i cant boot to windows..perhaps i can unstall another operating system to retrieve my files then wipe the hrddrive?
    or is there a way to get my files onto cds from dos as i can onlyeven get to dos via the recovery consolw which does bugger all for me
    thanx for your input ;)

6. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

i have fpund out i may be able to use dos xcopy...i dont know how to yet...a few hours more researching i guess! dos anyone know if i can move a folder in mycase my documents to another folder just on my C: and then wipe over my windows xp by using the cd insted of recovery module thing and still keep my files which i am going to save on a file like c:\otherfiles

7. pjblevin

pjblevin

xx: I'm not trying to be preachy here, but you GOTTA have backup. I learned this a long time ago. You can have backup in many ways, but in essence, it means that your files are stored in more than one place.

pjblevin

8. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

your quite right mate i wish i did i think ive learnedmy lesson lol
    anychance you know howi can copy my documens to another folder on the c drive?

9. pjblevin

pjblevin

xx: I feel for you, because I once lost all my files.......that's when I first learned about "backup". Since then I've had all my personal files.......documents/pictures/music......backed up. But even if you can't boot to Windows.......you can still retrieve your stuff. It involves special software that can extract your files from your hard-drive. I've never had to do this, although I wish I had known about it back then when I lost all my stuff. Just be patient. You should be able to get all you personal files back.

pjblevin

10. pjblevin

pjblevin

xx: I've read all your notes, but I haven't noticed anything about "system restore"l. Have you tried this? If not, go to: start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.........you can choose a date (hopefully) when your PC was working OK.

pjblevin

11. zmaster

zmaster

hmm should of read this thread first...
    You can get to a command prompt by continuously pressing F8 while your computer is booting up. Then choose the command prompt from your list of options.

Well rather then going out and buying a new OS you could buy a new hard drive.

But i reckon try this first :p Click

press Ctrl+F and type in: Knoppix. If you really want that info on the hard drive bad, its worth a shot.

12. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice