Solved: help with router to access on laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

laura0488

hi my question is i have a westell router that is hard wired to my pc. have a new hp laptop and trying to set it up for wireless access. it tells me to enter a password or passcode i have never set up one of those before and it will not let access unless i unhook the ethernet cable from back of pc tower to my hp laptop. how do i find the password or passcode.or security code? thanks for you help

etaf

Wayne
how do i find the password or passcode.or security code?
its often written on a label on the router it self

otherwise - you will need to log into the router configuration pages and look at the wireless security settings and see if you can read the password - if not, then change it to one you want#

need the exact model of the router - should also be written on a label on the router

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
You need two things setting on the router (to change from the easily known defaults):
1) the SSID - often called the access key.
2) the password.
Use the same settings in your PCs

The defaults will be on the bottom of the router.
You should also install a program called INSSIDER on your PC which will let you see all your neighbour's settings so you can choose less used ones.

laura0488

thank you so much for your help.... we are up and and running.... had to go to pc and get security info instead of using the info on bottom of router..... but my 13yr old is happy again!!:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online