1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help with setting up a home network - 2 computers, XP, 2000, and a d-link

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Doopahdoo, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doopahdoo

Doopahdoo Thread Starter

I guess I'm not as computer savy as I thought cause I can not seem to get this network set up. I want to be able to access files and such from my DeskTop on my LapTop. My Desktop runs windows2000 professional. My Laptop runs WindowsXP. I have cable net hooked into a d-link DI-604 Ethernet Broadband Router. Although my laptop is wi-fi enabled, both my computers are wired to said router for internet.

Every time I try to set up a network using the network wizard, it trys to connect to my neighbors wi-fi. I have disabled wi-fi on my laptop, and it still gets hung up here. It doesn't give me the option of setting up a network from the wired LAN hookup, however in network connections it does acknowlege the LAN connection, so it is there.

Any ideas? Am i totally getting this wrong?

2. jmwills

jmwills

Make sure that both machines are in the same Workgroup name, enable File & Print Sharing, configure/disable any third pary firewalls that might be blocking the connection. Can you ping each mahcine form the other?

http://willsit.com/resources.aspx

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For each of the computers when they're connected to the router, let's see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

4. Doopahdoo

Doopahdoo Thread Starter

ok, I can ping my desktop from my laptop, but I cannot ping my Laptop from my desktop.

5. jmwills

jmwills

ipconfig /all please?

6. Doopahdoo

Doopahdoo Thread Starter

Thats alot of info I'd rather not post for the world to see. What am i looking for in this?? From what I can tell its just a bunch of info I already knew.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is no security risk in posting the contents of your IPCONFIG /ALL. However, there is a real risk of us not being able to help you if you don't.
    Maybe you do, but since you can't get it working, WE have to know the stuff that's displayed. Instead of pulling the data out of you one bit at a time, it's much more time efficient to just post it.

8. Doopahdoo

Doopahdoo Thread Starter

Yah, thanks for you help. I just don't like posting that info. My friend came over and fixed it for me, took him 5 mins, so i guess I was close.

9. SoltoN

SoltoN

Just so you know, all that information is internal only and very generic. Every home router gives out an IP address of 192.168.x.x, with the same subnet, same gateway, etc etc. There is no information there that we dont already know, but if we cant compare the output of both computers, we cant help, because we cant be sure how you have them configured. No one here is going to ask you to post information that can be harmful to you or your system.

If you assume something (like ipconfig/all output) is something it isnt, and dont even try to understand why it is important, then you will always "be close", and wont learn how to configure it on your own. Everyone here is either looking to help, or looking to learn, but you wont learn if you dont want to trust the person that is trying to teach you.

10. Senecy

Senecy

Hi there,

I happen to be in a very similar position with Doopahdoo. I have two desktops, one running SP2 and the other SP1 (will only connect to some sites, but not ones like windows update. Anyway, that's another problem).

They both connect to the internet with ease (except as above): SP1 wirelessly with a USB Dlink wireless card and SP2 with a wired ethernet card. I have a Dlink wireless router which accesses the internet though a Dlink ADSL modem. Accessing config utilities on the hardware is not a problem.

What I really want to do is set up file and print sharing. I've set up everything as per the standard advice (ie: properties for LAN connection: allow TCP/IP, allow file and print sharing; turned off windows firewall; ensured both computers have same workgroup name and unique name, etc), but can't go any further. When selecting 'view workgroup computers', it states "you do not have permission... contact administrator..., etc"

The computers cannot ping each other, but can ping the router.

*This is the ipconfig /all for SP2:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXX
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.155
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.12.160.35
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 13 August 2007 6:28:54 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 13 August 2007 7:28:54 PM[/I][/I]

*This is the ipconfig /all for SP1:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\admin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXX
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL Wireless USB adapter(rev.c)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.108
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.12.160.35
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 13 August 2007 8:45:54 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 13 August 2007 9:45:54 PM

11. jmwills

jmwills

If the two cannot ping one another, that is a classic case of a third party firewall running. Why no SP2?

12. Senecy

Senecy

Ok, so I need to find out if there is firewall running (3rd party meaning software, not hardware?) on either computer. Do I try safe mode with networking?

As for SP1 desktop, for some reason it can't access some internet sites. It appears that anything that starts with "https://" -note the "s"- won't load. Is the s for 'secure'?

Anyway, that includes sites like internet banking, http email AND windows update.

13. jmwills

jmwills

SP2 was a BIG problem for those machines that had some sort of spyware related issues.

Look in the Servies Applet to see what is running for Firewalls.

14. Senecy

Senecy

I discovered Norton personal firewall WAS running. After tweaking it for home networking everything is ping-ing away nicely now, and file sharing is up and running.

As for the SP1 desktop, changing the windows firewall settings to include https (of course!) seems to have fixed the problem, and I can update it with SP2. Hooray!
    :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice