1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help With Sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by saado, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saado

saado Thread Starter

We had to wipe out our hard drive because of viruses and reinstalled everything. The only issue we're having now is with the sound. It appears we have all the drivers installed, according to the device manager. I can watch videos on youtube and windows media player, but can't hear the sound. No, nothing is muted, all sound levels are fine. BUT I can hear sound with Skype, when I do testing for both speaker and microphone. Not too sure why that is the case.

Operating system is Windows XP
    Windows Media Player 10
    Web browser = google chrome

Any suggestions? Please help, thanks.

2. huggie54

huggie54

in device manager go down and expand "other" is any yellow " or Red Xs in there

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya saado.

When you go to Start / Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices, do you have the option of changing the device volume ... in which case the chip is recognised and the drivers are installed. Another thing to check while you`re in there is under the Audio tab. In the drop-down menu in Sound playback, is your sound chip the default one?

Is the audio jack plugged into a PCI sound card or the onboard socket? Whichever way, make sure it`s in the green socket (or number 1) and not the pink or blue mic or headphone one. I`ve done it myself when I`ve taken wires out for some reason and put them back in the wrong hole !

Jenny

4. saado

saado Thread Starter

Hi Huggie,

Under "Other devices" there are two yellows:

-Dell Wireless 1450 Dual Band usb 2.0 adapter
    -Scan

Not too sure if either has any significance, but I can't see them being related to sound.

Anything else I could look for?

5. saado

saado Thread Starter

Hi Jenny, you hit the nail right on the head.

The sound playback was not the default. It was set as USB Internet Phone by Tigerjet when it should have been Soundmax digital audio.

Wow that was easy, thanks for your help!

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

7. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya saado.

Sometimes it`s the obvious things that can be overlooked. Glad to hear it`s all okay now.

Jenny

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice