1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help with toshiba 660cdt- disabled drive controller??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joetheres, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joetheres

joetheres Thread Starter

Hi Everyone-
    I'm new here and know nothing about computers. I got an old toshiba portege 660cdt at a garage sale for $3 and it worked ok. It was running windows 98. I wanted to put a cd in the drive to add a new program, but the cd drive didn't seem to work ( I know- it was only $3) The notebook also had an external floppy disk drive( the small hard square ones )? I was messing around with the computer trying to figure out why the cd drive didn't seem to work. I couldn't open/close it and it didn't seem to be recognized by the computer. Anyways, I think I disabled something called a drive controller???? I'm not really sure, but the next time I turned the computer on it said "memory initialize 32512KB insert system disk in drive press any key to continue". I would press a key and it just kept repeating the message "insert system disk in drive press any key to continue".. I can't get it to do anything but that. The cd drive still doesn't seem to work ( I don't even care about that anymore, just want to be able to do SOMETHING on the notebook itself) I put a boot up disk for windows 98 in the external drive and I can hear it running, but that same message keeps popping up- it won't do anything else! Any help would be great ! Thanks!

2. joetheres

joetheres Thread Starter

Please- I am desperate!! Can anyone help?

3. joetheres

joetheres Thread Starter

Hi again-
    I solved the problem myself- I tapped F1 when turning on the computer and that let me run in safe mode so I could enable the disk drive controller.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice