1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help with troubleshooting speed. download is 1.6 mbps!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tamilynn63, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamilynn63

tamilynn63 Thread Starter

Hi Guys, Need some troubleshooting help with my connection. My speed has decreased drastically beginning in early January, dropping from 27-31mbps to 1.6 mbps
    Here is what I have done so far
    I have power cycled my router, and I have swapped out ethernet cables to both my router and to my PC.
    I have bypassed my router and, direct connected thru my modem . Oddly enough, this was even slower

I am running teamviewer so I can simultaneously check speed on my other win 7 PC (3 feet away) where my download speed is 30.1mbps

I have wirelss devises in the house that have good connection so process of elimination points to my PC. It would be nice if it just stopped working all together. It is the slow speed that confuses me.

Buy an ethernet card and be done with it or have I missed something?

Thanks in advance for your assist

Tami

2. Golden_

Golden_

And you are connected to your router via Ethernet?

What is the specs of the computer in question?
    And since you mentioned that it worked fine prior to January, do you recall making any configuration to the operating system (e.g downloading new softwares...) or made any hardware changes with your current network?

My guess would be something to do with the Operating System that is consuming bandwidth resources making the said computer slow.

3. tamilynn63

tamilynn63 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I found the culprit. Who would think a little usb wireless adapter would have caused this/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice