1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help with upgrading some RAM for my PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightning89, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightning89

lightning89 Thread Starter

Hello TSG,
    I've been wanting to upgrade my computers RAM for a while now. I'm at University doing Games Design so next year will be using programs that require a good deal of hardware acceleration.

I currently have 1GB of RAM, two 512MB sticks of Crucial Ballistix DDR PC3200 in the machine with two more RAM slots free.

Ideally, I'd like 2GB/3GB for my system and I've been looking on eBuyer for similar RAM. So far I cannot find any Ballistix brand that's the same as mine, PC3200. However, I have come across this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142405 for £56 and am considering to just buy this.

Seeing as though it's DDR2 and PC2-8500 instead of my current DDR PC3200, will this new RAM work alongside my current RAM without any problems?

I do have enough slots and it should work with my Gigabyte Technology 8IPE775/-G model motherboard, hopefully. If anyone has any ideas whether it will work or not then please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. Compaq__

Compaq__

I would avoid mixing ram speeds or even brands. In theory, if you mix RAM speeds, all of the modules should clock to the lowest speed; but in practice, mixing speeds (and sometimes even brands) in the same PC can cause system instability.

Go here to see what ram is best for your rig.

www.crucial.com

3. lightning89

Thanks for the quick reply!

I used Crucials system scanner and it said that it couldn't find any upgrades that would help my current system memory.

Do you think that it would just be best to order the £56 RAM and take my current RAM out, giving me 2GB? I could always sell the other RAM on eBay or something, it's just the case if the PC2 8500 will work with my motherboard or not...

4. Compaq__

Compaq__

I would do that. Sell the current ram and buy 2gb. Then you don't have to worry about any problems.

5. lightning89

I think it would be the simplest and safest way out. =P

Thanks for all your help!

6. tonysmith1929

tonysmith1929

Try 7dayshop.com they got pc3200 Samsung ram at £17 for 1 Gb sticks (tax free from Jersey) good firm

7. DaChew

DaChew

you are ordering ddr2 to replace ddr1, I don't think that's going to solve any problems at all since it won't even fit

you need premium cas 2 ddr1 3200/400 ram

try and find some cas 2.5 4000/500 for mine, they are long gone

8. DaChew

DaChew

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

You positively cannot use ddr2 ram where ddr ram is installed, it is a different size for one thing and won't even fit into the slots.

10. tonysmith1929

tonysmith1929

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice