1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gaskeyenterprise, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaskeyenterprise

gaskeyenterprise Thread Starter

I have an issue with a computer at my new job and need assistance. Could someone tell me if there is a way for me to reset an administrator password on Windows XP Professional?

Here is the situation: A former manager at the company put a password into the system for the Admin Password, the person is being charged with crimes with stealing money and the individual will not give the password. I have tried to install a password recovery program on the computer and the admin functions have it locked. I went into user accounts and the admin account for the computer is not listed. I am at a loss, is there something someone could tell me that will help unlock the system so that the schedules and such can be done, the checks can be printed, and the information can be shared with corporate?

Sincerely confused,

Aaron Gaskey :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. gaskeyenterprise

John,

I can't get it to copy files to the disk...it is just copying the .ISO image. Any suggestions?

Aaron

4. happyrck

happyrck

5. JohnWill

I think he's already done. :)

6. happyrck

happyrck

yep...he posted as I was getting the links together...no problem

7. gaskeyenterprise

John it did not work on the system!! I got into the utilities, changed the passwords to blank, and then quit. Rebooted the system, changed the boot sequence back, and then it kept losing the keyboard.

I can't get into the system setup anymore either. It is really confusing me!! I am truly lost now.

Aaron Gaskey(n) :confused:

8. JohnWill

I can't imagine how the password utility did that. :confused: I've used it dozens of times, and it only affects the SAM file and clears one or more passwords.

What "system setup" are you talking about? Are you talking about the BIOS? If so, that has nothing to do with the Windows passwords, or anything else about Windows.

9. gaskeyenterprise

I had to got into the setup and change the boot order of teh device to get it to work. I restarted the computer, followed all instructions, changed two of the passwords, and now I am unable to get into the system setup again because the keyboard is not intiating. It is a usb keyboard. But when Windows boots up to the logon screen it then lets me use the computer. I am really confused myself. Just thought that you would have run across that a time or two.....

Aaron

10. JohnWill

It sounds like USB support is disabled in the BIOS. I'd find a PS/2 keyboard and plug it in long enough to fix the BIOS configuration.

11. gaskeyenterprise

John,

I tried the program again last night, changed the password for the specific profile, and still can't get into the system. I am not sure what is going on....any insight into this. I am going to try again tonight and I will give you an update of the situation. I was able to get into the BIOS to fix the boot situation. It is trying to do a scan on the system when it boots back up....and then it freezes....after the scan the old information for the account I am trying to unlock is still there. Any advice on this issue?

Aaron Gaskey

12. JohnWill

Try changing the administrator password instead of a specific account. Truthfully, that's all I ever do in this situation, because I know that account will have administrative rights. :)

13. gaskeyenterprise

The person that set this system up made the specific User the administrator. The administrator password was changed already..........not sure what to do from this point. Any suggestions?

Aaron

14. JohnWill

Not offhand, maybe time to reformat. :)

15. JohnWill

At this point, I'd remove the disk and put it in another machine to recover the data.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice