1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hey, Where'd My Shutdown Box Go?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by robhic, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Firefox was crashing constantly and I thought I might try using a "Non-destructive, No-reformat, Total Rebuild" option from one of Fred Langa's articles of a few years ago. I'd done this before and it generally worked as specified. A few tweaks here and there to adjust / fix some settings and I was good. So I did it and Windows XP was not really affected -- good OR bad. :(

Everything seemed fine but when I went to shutdown the computer, the "restart, shutdown, log off" box didn't appear and a new one I've NEVER seen in all 7 years of using this computer and XP showed up. This one had 6 boxes: shutdown, log off, cancel, lock computer, change password, task manager. And they didn't really work. It came up if I hit ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager. I also didn't have but one selection for "shutdown" in the START menu instead of shutdown and log off.

So I waited enough time, IMO, for the system to shut down and pressed the power button. It shut off but I had no way to reboot and also when I'd turn the system on, I got another new box asking for a password. I don't and never have used a password.... But hitting "log in" (I forget the exact term used) would start my computer. But the password is new.

Computer seems to work pretty well, otherwise, so far. I am going to go back and look into ridding myself of the password box. Any other help to get back to the original 3-selection box at shutdown would be appreciated. Here's the TSG log file:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1533 Mb
    Graphics Card: MusCVideo32, 96 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 53074 MB, Free - 27613 MB; F: Total - 38122 MB, Free - 37813 MB; G: Total - 200294 MB, Free - 116452 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0F4491
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Thanks for any help to get the regular shutdown sequence and box back and get rid of the password if I haven't figured that one out, either!

2. huggie54

huggie54

3. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Thank you for the quick response! That (kind of) fixed it. I got the 3 boxes back at shutdown. But it takes a while to then get to a box that tells me "it is safe to shut windows down" and I have to push the switch instead of auto shutdown. Better but not 100%. AND........... a few new issues have cropped up and when the machine starts it goes into Safe Mode or a Safe Mode look-alike and my mouse freezes!!! :eek:

Again, thank you for this fix so far and I still have some playing around to do. I am getting the feeling that as much as I like this computer, I need to replace this dinosaur with something newer....

4. huggie54

huggie54

you could try a system restore back to the date before you began "tweaking"or a system repair

5. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    I'm afraid of that because I use ERNDT to restore just my registry and it works really well. BUT ......... after the non-destructive re-install, when I go back a bit before that date I get the safe mode or safe-mode look alike and frozen mouse. :eek: In fact, I am not even sure how I am able to use the system right now, I did a bunch of stuff like booting from the re-installation CD that came with the computer and other questionable things and it sort of goes into a useable configuration on a whim!!! I had left it on all night so as not to have to use the questionable startup and/or shut down sequence. Yes, there is a hell! :(

And System Restore won't work! No set a restore point (won't let me type a name and so won't create a restore point), no go to a restore point (no calendars shown), and no undo previous restore point because there IS NO PREVIOUS DATE SHOWN! This sucker is hosed!

6. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Fixed the problem the easy way: I bought a new computer! P.S. Think long and hard about Dell....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice