1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hi bandwidth usage on one laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MacUidhir, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MacUidhir

MacUidhir Thread Starter

I have a building site office with one Acer laptop running windows 8 and I connect to the internet using a Telstra Elite WiFi modem - see link for data sheet. http://www.zte.com.au/downloads/manuals/MF60 Prepaid QSG - final.pdf
    The user switches on the WiFi modem in the morning and off in the evening and during the day uses it for email and internet but mostly small files like drawings etc and it has been fine for a number of years. In the last 6 months, the data is getting consumed at a large rate - approx. 12GB per month (compared to 12GB over about 10 months). I can log into the Telstra account and see the usage days and see where every so often (irregular pattern like 3 days then 5 then 2 then 1 then 7) there are large downloads of very similar size ~2.7GB). I looked at the windows updates and whilst they were on auto update, the history doesn't line up with the usage. How do I identify what programs are using this data or updating etc and how to stop it. Thanks

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

3. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Just to add and if I remeber right, Win 10 TP through update is between 2.1 -2.7GB.
    Might not hurt to go into Windows Update, click on Change Settings and uncheck the box next to “Give me recommended updates the same way I recieve important updates”

4. MacUidhir

MacUidhir Thread Starter

Thanks Dave and CoolBurn - that helps - got it installed

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice