1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hi, In Desperate Need Of Help....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mari1961, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mari1961

mari1961 Thread Starter

Here the thing, I have a gaming computer and decided to upgrade to a better video card and power supply, everything seemed to be working great.. Then about an hour ago I was playing a game, the game closed out for no reason and my monitor went black, it was still on, just a black screen... So, I restart the computer, and a friend popped on Skype while I was playing the same game again, so we started chatting, then suddenly, Skype closes out and my monitor goes black again, the light on the power button on the monitor shows that the power is still on... Any idea what is causing this, and how it can be fixed? Is there something I should have done after installing the new video card? HELP!!!!

P.S. The name of the game I was playing is Killing Floor 2, also, I posted this here as I didn't know where to post it, if you move it, could you link me to where you move it... Thank you so very much, and thank you for any help you can give me.. Marilyn

2. renegade600

renegade600

first thought would be the temperature. are all the fans running? does the computer feel hot when it shuts down. can you immediately turn the computer back on? if so, check the event viewer and see if there are any errors. also we need your system specs if it is not the same as in your profile.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, you need to post ALL of your exact system specs ie exact mb, exact cpu, exact ram, exact video card, pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W" post the exact mfg and model# of each part.

Next have you gone back and rechecked your work? If not, do so. Be sure the video card is fully seated. Be sure the atx, aux, and all other pw connectors are fully seated.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should have included this as well.

Boot into the bios/uefi and check the following; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post all of those here.

Next how to properly install a new video card.
    1 With old card still installed, go to the driver site of your new card ie either the nvidia or amd/ati site. Download the latest driver.
    2 Still with old card installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, monitoring software, CCC [if amd] etc. Do not reboot, just tell it later.
    3 Shutdown and remove the pw cord. Pull your old card out and install the new card [make sure it is fully seated]
    4 Replace the pw cord and pw ON. Now install the driver you downloaded in step #1. Reboot when prompted.

5. mari1961

mari1961 Thread Starter

The new card is already installed, I wasn't told to do that.. The guy at the store said to just take out the old one and put in the new, he didn't say to uninstall drivers first... So I took that as the computer automatically upgrades the new drives and deletes the old ones....The new one is in, as well as the new drivers for it... Can't the old drivers be uninstalled with the new video card in... :(
    The computer is a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-000 Series
    Model # HPE-410F
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Ram: 8192MB
    PS is 600W, Model # RP-PS60-600W
    Video Card: NVIDAIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, made by ZOTAC Model # on the driver is WDDM 1.1
    Not sure where to find the Temps, do I have to restart and go to the blue screen before windows boots up??

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, video drivers do not uninstall themselves. Do the following;
    1 First of all, go to the nvidia site and download the latest driver for the 750ti
    2 Uninstall any software or driver based on the old card. From your specs, you had an amd/ati card so remove all software for that card. Be careful you do not remove the chipset/mb driver. It is amd also so be careful.
    3 Once done, restart and install the driver you downloaded in step 1.

Let's do the above before we worry about temps and voltages. The correct driver install may cure your problem.

7. mari1961

mari1961 Thread Starter

Express uninstall does not give an option to keep the chipset... With the new video card, shouldn't their be a chipset downloaded with the drivers for that???

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. You are installing a nvidia card; the chipset is amd [as is your old video card]
    You can however install the chipset driver yourself. Here is a link;
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
    Click manually select driver and input your info ie chipset, what os, etc.

Without having it in front of me, it is somewhat difficult. Do you have an option for a custom uninstall?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Oh, be sure to install the chipset driver before installing the video driver. [If you end up removing all amd drivers]

10. mari1961

mari1961 Thread Starter

There's a installation cd with the new video card, would the chipset be on that?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. You are not understanding. You are installing a nvidia card; your chipset is mfg by amd. Just like saying would a water pump for a Chevy fit my Ford; not going to happen.

Next the driver on the support disk is almost always out of date. Use the latest driver from the nvidia site not the support disk.

12. mari1961

mari1961 Thread Starter

Ok... so what does the letters ie mean in this sentence? "Click manually select driver and input your info ie chipset, what os, etc."

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

14. mari1961

mari1961 Thread Starter

Ok... I'll try and figure things out with what you told me... Please leave this post up for a week or so if that's ok... So I can come back and recheck what you posted, and ask further questions as needed... It may be sometime after the 21st before I'll know if it worked, that is when the game will be back up that was causing the issues... Should I get it fixed, I will come and click on solved... Thank you so much for your time, it is so very appreciated.. :)

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No problem. Threads stay active or open for 30 days. Even after that, you can PM a mod and we can reopen it for you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice