1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hi Res 720p video, can it play on older PCs?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Android, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Android

Android Thread Starter

I have a computer with Win XP that can't seem to play video labeled as 720p. I usually use VLC Video Player to play my videos. I'm not sure, maybe I don't have enough motherboard or video RAM. My video card's current Display Properties' Settings are resolution 1280x1024 and color Medium (16 bit). My card seems to be a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2, AGP 4X, 16 MB. My monitor is a MAG 986FS. Please let me know if I can play these file types or if I should forget about it.

BTW, my card seems to go as high as 1600x1200 and "Highest (32 bit)" color, but I was wondering if raising it to these levels might not even work for 720p and might cause performance problems.

2. Android

Android Thread Starter

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What is the file type (file name extension) of the video? The term "720P" refers to a video resolution.

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

5. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    In general terms, 720P is just a resolution (1360x720). However, actual file playback will depend on the the codecs used for the file, the file specs, and the speed/power of the PC in question.

6. Android

Android Thread Starter

cwwozniak, it is a mp4 file.
    johnebadbak, well before trying 1080p, I'd like to try to see if it'll play 720p. Right now, I know it can play 480p.
    This is what I currently have. This won't run 720p files?
    If this setup can't work, is there anything simple that I can do or get to make it work? Thanks.

===========

Compaq Deskpro EN series Slim Desktop version
    Silver sticker has ENL/P1.0/20E/6/256cvn US
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10653_na/10653_na.html

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III processor, x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 511 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro , 16 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 19084 MB, Free - 2331 MB; D: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1144549 MB; E: Total - 95605 MB, Free - 35512 MB; G: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 185552 MB;
    Motherboard: Compaq, 0684h, , X123DYSZA008
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You using a very old desktop that has

Intel Pentium III 1.0 GHz processor
    512 MB PC133 RAM(maximum supported amount)
    NVIDIA Riva TNT2 16 MB graphics

Lower the resolution from 1280 X 1024 to 1024 X 768.
    Lower the color palette from 32-bit to 16-bit.

You're asking too much to expect that old desktop to play videos at a quality level with the hardware that it has.

-------------------------------------------------------

8. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I agree. The PC isn't powerful enough to decode the video properly. Which should be obvious by using Task Manager. During playback you will likely see the cpu flatline at 100% usage and if the video plays it will likely stutter.

Depending on the codecs used and the media player, it may not play properly at any resolution. But you can test as noted above by reducing the resolution until the video is playable. But that defeats the whole purpose of even using HD files.

9. Android

Android Thread Starter

I agree, but was just wondering how far this computer can be pushed. I thought raising the resolution & color palette would help more, but I did what you mentioned Flavallee in lowering them and it helped just a bit. Before I'd just get a black window with the sound playing. With the screen resolution & palette reduced, it would show in the window only the first visible frame of the video plus the sound. Just for kicks, I reduced the resolution all the way to 800x600 and it did the same, PLUS a little pixelized movement (mostly nothing).

Yes Oddba11, I'd often see the CPU in Task Manager "flatline" at 100% in many tasks. LOL. I really don't care that much about video resolution, just as long as there's no text & the sound is good, I can tolerate a CGA/VGA image as we had 30 years ago. I was just wondering how far this old jalopy can be pushed to view something, to force the file to play at reduced resolution & color. You'd figure some software or setting change could do such a thing.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It looks your model desktop has an AGP slot, so you might consider upgrading to an AGP video card with 64 - 128 MB of video memory to replace the current one that has only 16 MB of video memory.

Get a low-profile heatsink cooling model because I doubt the power supply and space restrictions can handle anything else.

---------------------------------------------------------

11. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If it's already at 100% for many tasks...then you have answered your own question. That is as far as it can be pushed.

With that said, verify you have the proper codecs installed for playback. Open the file with an app such as gSpot. It will listed the audio/video codecs required and if they are installed on your PC.

12. Android

Android Thread Starter

Thanks Flavallee. I may go with a newer PC before I get a better video card though.

Oddba11, can you provide a link to that app to download? I'll probably get all sorts of non-related links if I Google that product's name. lol.

13. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  14. Android

Android Thread Starter

Seems to me that gSpot is out of date. When opening a 460p video in it, that I can view ok, I get an "Undetermined" status. I'll include a copy of the window attached here...
    http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/201516d1323516517/gspot460p.jpg

Also attached is its analysis of a 720p video, also saying "Undetermined"...
    http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/201517d1323516542/gspot720p.jpg

I'm not sure how to interpret this, if it can be interpreted at all. It appears the program is at least 2 years old.

Attached Files:

15. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It's not often I work with media issues (not that this is a media issue anyway).

There are other apps available, such as mediainfo > http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

You will be able to confirm the codecs. But as it does play anyway, that's likely not going to be an issue. Just something to keep in mind. The major playback issue in this case, is the cpu is too slow.

Just as a reference, check Apples requirements for HD playback> http://support.apple.com/kb/SP521

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice