Solved: hi speed usb controller

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

darkgohan

Hi,I just installed a nexxtech 7 port 2.0 usb hub,and now when I use my printer up pops this"You must add a hi speed usb host controller to this p.c. to obtain max. speed." Can someone simplify what is necessary here. My cordless mouse,netmate link and printer are all that runs off of this usb hub. WXP/pro/sp2 800 mhz.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, You have to have a USB 2.0 port to plug the hub into to get the benefit of 2.0....do you have USB 2.0 ports in the computer? How to tell: Right click on My Computer, select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager, and scroll down to the end for USB devices....do you see any mention of an Enhanced entry for USB controllers?

You also need a USB 2.0 cable for each device that uses 2.0...though, they should work even with an older cable, just not at the high speed.

With the older hubs, for USB 1.1, I noticed some devices would never work at all from a hub...so you are in better shape than I was.

darkgohan

Hello,found 2 references to via Rev 5 or later usb universal host controller. Als a reference to other devices above this location with a yellow ? and with its drop down is another yellow ? with a ! on top of its ? It says pci simple communication controller. When I open this it says the drivers for this device are not installed code 28,then asks if you want to reinstall. Hope you can make sense of all this and advise.I guess I should also ask if I should get a different usb hub[is there one that is available that is not usb 2?Thank You

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi--- So, your printer IS USB 2.0? It might not be> if you post the exact make and model, I will look it up for you. The printer may be able to run from the parallel port OR a USB port also. Some are only one way. If it is a USB only and a USB 2.0> it should still work for you! Might not on the hub, tho.

A USB 2.0 device is supposed to be able to work OK when plugged into USB 1.1 ports, they just dont run as fast as the high speed 2.0 can go. A USB 1.1 device should also work plugged into USB 2.0 ports (which you dont have). The 2.0 hub won't be 2.0 in other words unless you run it from a working 2.0 port. 7 ports is a lot to ask> I hope the hub has an AC adapter to power it!

Here's a good site to explain the ins and outs of the two types of USB used: http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

READ all of this through before you do anything. There may be no need to do all the USB device removal, I have posted it in case there is. From what you posted, it seems there are either yellow or red ! or ? marks in Device Manager...in Normal Mode.... on some items....but, after re-reading your post, it looks like all of these marks are only connected with the "Simple Communications Controller"...is that correct? Or, are some of those marks connected to any USB devices? Read down where I posted about what type of modem (Internet connection) you use, if you use dialup service, not broadband....do you have a PCI card modem, AND an external one (the 'netmate')? I've never heard of a netmate so tell me exactly what that is and does.

This part you may not have to do!
There is some help there to boot to Safe Mode, and remove the USB device manager entries (drivers) and restart, where devices will be redetected...things for the motherboard, USB Open Host Controller (2 or more) USB Root Hub....when they get installed, you start adding back your mouse, whatever, XP should reinstall them OK.

Note: If no USB entries have any red or yellow marks you may not have to do what is just above.

When your head stops spinning, read on.... :)

Apparently you had a modem that you stopped using and you got another one? Is that called a netmate? Do you use a dialup connection (telephone modem)? That's what is missing and being detected as a Simple Communications Device> the modem shows as detected but not drivers are not installed, so you must not be using it and we can skip that for now. (Unless it is under the USB devices...)
You are here and able to use the Internet, so I guess you connect with some kind of external modem or network adapter.

Your USB device drivers may be messed up, adding the hub probably did it, and since fixing them will involve using Safe Mode as well as temporarily removing the USB mouse support, you will have a rough time fixing all this I think. Might be you have USB support in Safe Mode with XP, or, you could temporarily use an old style PS/2 mouse perhaps, borrow one? They have the small round connector that goes into the computer, like keyboards. (If you do not have to do the USB device removals, no need to change the mouse, etc.)

What type of computer is this, is it a branded type like Compaq, Dell, HP etc, or just a clone that you had built or acquired? If it is one that you upgraded to XP Pro, and it sounds like it is, with an 800mhz processor...do you have the install disc for WinXP Pro there with you? And> I take it you are using the hub now, and everything is fine except for the printer popup message? The other USB devices in the hub work OK- since they are USB 1.1.

Is there a way for you to shut off and unplug the printer, and change to a plug in mouse...PS/2 type.... plug the netmate into ports on the computer itself to continue working> we do need to remove the hub. During the fix, you actually will have to unplug ALL USB devices for hopefully a short time. I guess the keyboard is a standard type, PS/2....so that is OK.

Was there any kind of install disc (usually there is none...they just are detected as new hardware and install) But, with newer ones there may have been an installation disc...I looked but could not determine what you had, from their list of just model numbers at the Nexxtech support site, could you post the 8 or 9 digit model number of the Nexxtech hub please?

If by chance you happen to know the exact motherboard make and model, post it. Or, this small free program may help ID it for us>

Download the free Belarc Advisor to the desktop, run the downloaded file and it will install. It scans then opens in Internet Explorer window to show you a lot about your system....what I need is what it shows for the chipset and or the Main System Board.

Get it here> Hit the "Free Download" link at the top

www.belarc.com

It will produce an Internet Explorer page...from that simply copy and paste the information I asked about, chipset and motherboard. It may not be able to ID the mainboard, but most often it can.

To answer what you asked about using a 1.1 hub, yes you can get those. The best solution for you would be to install or get someone to install a USB 2.0 add-in card if there is room for it inside the computer, but if it's a laptop, that will not work. The add-in cards can give you 5 or more USB 2.0 ports for around $20, maybe less these days.. I use one and it's been no trouble at all. You'd have to do this after straightening out the drivers first, if indeed that needs doing.
To really make this frustrating, the USB 2.0 hub is supposed to work when plugged into the older type 1.1 ports- there was no way for the hub to supply 2.0 capability to the printer so it notified you of that....the driver conflicts may just be IRQs, and they may go away if you can remove the old modem.
If you follow the guide at the site I posted above, it shows you how to remove the USB devices in Safe Mode and hopefully get everyting reinstalled. You will also need to remove the new hub. You can try it again after everything works. Just try the printer first and mouse plugged into back of the computer. If you need the USB port to connect here, unplug the printer temporarily. Then plug the hub into back of computer and let XP configure it. Next try the mouse in one hub port. Try the modem or netmate thing.
The USB 2.0 hub should improve the bandwidth even older devices can use, so that is a plus for you, if we can get it to work correctly.
With things as they are, you may have freezeups, crashes etc.
Reinstalling all the USB drivers is supposed to help with that, and there really should not be any yellow or red marks on things in the Device Manager, except maybe for the modem> If you can see that it is an OLD device, and is not going to be used again, you can remove the modem's DM entry AND physically remove it from it's slot. If I understand correctly, you are using an external USB device to connect to the Internet, and not using a PCI card modem....?
That is what I need to clear up before doing anything.
_______ _- - - ______------ _______
It might just be a whole lot easier to get a USB 2.0 card, than play with this hub. Then, if you do have or do get USB 2.0 devices, you are all set. The 2.0 hub would then be able to work fine.

I would try plugging the printer into the back of the computer, and the hub also, then use the mouse and netmate plugged into the hub.

Some devices may not work at all in any hubs....they will with add-in cards tho. Cameras and scanners don't like hubs, and I had a lot of trouble with a printer.

Most new low cost, or average and on up PCs include USB 2.0 ports, sometimes up to 6 or 8, some on back and/or front panel. Remember, the newer ports are compatible with your old USB 1.1 devices. The 2.0 hub is supposed to work plugged into your 1.1 port...maybe you could try the other port you have next time.
Take your time with this and ask anything, post what I asked for when you have time. For now, just try understanding what they advise to fix the Device Manager entries and get drivers working correctly without the hub plugged in. Hope you understand all this.

darkgohan

Here goes

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6330
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 06/15/2001

I have a adsl modem from telus.-called D.link,netmate is an external
adapter,because my p.c does not have one,something to do with the modem.

800 megahertz AMD Duron, no install c.d came with it

Hope this helps,do you think I should have it looked at? Other than the
pop-up mentioned earlier,everything works well? T.Y
-----

When you say you installed a usb 2.0 hub...did you connect it to one of your existing 1.1 hubs, or was it a PCI card that you installed into the computer slot?

darkgohan

My p.c had 2 usb ports in the rear of p.c,so simply hooked described 7 port usb hub to that with the 2 connectors that came with it.Then into that,I plugged my Netmake link,my printer and cordless mouse. This 7 port hub also comes with a poer supply which I did not hook into the unit. T.Y

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Unless you added an expansion USB 2.0 card, I'd be surprised if a 5 year old system has USB 2.0. I think that's where the problem lies. The reason you didn't get the message before is the printer was USB 1.1. You added a USB 2.0 device in the chain, and XP is now telling you about it.

If you really want USB 2.0 speeds for other devices, I suggest a USB 2.0 expansion card, they're pretty cheap in the $15-20 range. I'd also recommend you make sure you get one with the NEC chipset.

darkgohan

More info as requested
The yellow ? ! are connected only to the simple comm. contoller. Also notice a red x in genelink network adapter code 22. I think netmake takes the place of the pci card modem,it was put in by the installer who hooked up my modem{shaw cable] because my p.c did not have something in it. T.Y:confused:

By just hooking up the 7 port hub to an existing 1.1 hub will not provide you with 2.0. It default to the 1.1 speed.

As JohnWill stated, you need to add a PCI USB 2.0 card into an existing pci slot inside the computer. I have seen some problems with this on systems with older BIOS on the mohterboard, but usually installs without problems. I agree with John on the chipset.

darkgohan

Sorry for post after post,but head is spinning here,and re reading I see where I need to provide more info. So my nexxtech== Model 2616524 7 port 2.0 usb hub T.Y:confused:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
For whatever reason, the HP wasn't being flagged by XP as a high-speed device, even though it appears that it does support USB 2.0. I have a suggestion.

Why don't you use this procedure to clean out all the old USB entries and start over, perhaps we can get rid of some of the unknown entries.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, All this information was in my rather long and I suppose confusing post last night...the new info darkgohan is posting was to answer my questions about the make, model of the PC and what the marks in the Device manager were connected with.
Seems their PCI modem was either not installed or did not work after an upgrad to XP, as it is obvious that pc did not come with XP, and older hardware does not automatically work without a newer driver under XP, this is old hat to us techies but of course not to you, darkgohan. The new external modem/adsl adapter whatever is how you are connecting to the Net, I was asking about the red and yellow marks to nail down if they were anything to do with USB as the netmate is a USB device hower it seems that this device is OK, and USB devices have any ! or ? marks in their Device Manager listings.
So, I also advised that the popup message is just an advise from XP, that the printer may not work at high speed since it is connected through a hub (2.0) to 1.1 port in the computer.
What to do? I posted to either get a 2.0 card or basically stay as is. The hub being used because they have 3 USB devices total that I know of, and only two ports (1.1).
Whether they thought the 2.0 hub would provide 2.0 support is irrelevant and has been covered well; perhaps they asked a salesperson about whether it would "work in my x year old computer with XP" perhaps the didn't but they ended up with a USB 2.0 hub, and it should and does work OK for what they need to do. Their printer, as many people find afterward, is a USB 2.0 and it will/should work plugged into 1.1 ports, but may not work as well through a hub of ANY sort, that is what I was suggesting, plug the printer directly to the back of the computer, and the hub to the other in back, and plug the two devices that do work without problems into the hub, if you can get by that way OK> if anything complains, you may have to get a 2.0 card installed. Any competent tech shop can do it or you can yourself perhaps....if you dont want to hire it done. You may have to explain the setup you use so they do not monkey around with the entries in Device Manager thinking there is something wrong....or, as I also posted, remove the old modem if it is installed yet and you don't have to use it....
I dont see how you could be using any PCI modem without it being all installed with drivers> so, it must be an old modem that was redetected as a Simple Communication Controller in my way of thinking. darkgohan does not have any USB problems/issues insofar as I am able to tell, only the high speed message XP put out, but that can be ignored, if the printer does work plugged either way to the hub or back 1.1 port.

darkgohan, if I am not correct about anything, or you do not understand anything at all I posted anyplace, just ask, I will be around tonite, and.....be sure to have a Happy New Year..please!:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts