1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hiding Word Headers for Printing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ic198, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ic198

ic198 Thread Starter

At work, when we send out proposal documents (Word 2002 Office XP) we send them out in two different ways- as paper printouts and as pdfs. My boss is very particular about the company branding so when we send out paper versions they must be printed on letter-headed paper. When we send out pdfs we set up headers and footers that look like the letter-headed paper. Unfortunately this means that whenever we create a proposal we end up editing two documents, one with headers and footers, one without. This is time consuming and has led to differences between the versions in the past.

- Ideally, we would just edit the version with the header and footer, and then be able to hide them when printing onto paper- I can't find a button in Word to do this!
    - I've tried to persuade the boss to just print the pdfs onto normal paper for the paper versions, bur apparently this isn't good enough :mad:
    - I've tried inserting an image of the letter-headed paper as a watermark (which could easily be removed for printing to paper) but even I can see the result isn't good enough quality- it also isn't very flexible.

Has anyone got any bright ideas that could help? I've read on these forums about Master Documents but I don't really understand what they are- could they be the answer?

Thanks for your help

2. Aj_old

Aj_old

As far as I know you could use BullZip for making pdf's with logo, without havind them on word doc, you just use 2 different documents one in word (you letter) and one in pdf (a template that have the headers and footer already on it and no text) and specify the bullzip to use the second as a background, and you'll get you pdf with logo on it

At least I do so (had the same problem)

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

You could make conditional headers by using Autotext and Field codes. Then you would set the header to be visible only if certain text existed.
    However, you would then have to deal with that additional text....
    For more info, see here
    http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Conditional_Headers_Footers.htm

4. ic198

ic198 Thread Starter

Perfect! Thats exactly what I was looking for, thank you... I think even the boss should be able to understand this solution ;)

5. ic198

ic198 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply- I'll run with the Bullzip solution for now but I think this will be useful in future

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice