1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: High (60%+) packet loss in Windows 7, but not in Express Gate (Linux based)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WestonN, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WestonN

WestonN Thread Starter

Hey,

I've been having this problem where I'm losing a very high percentage of my packets (40-92%), when I'm running in Window 7 64 bit. However, when I use the Asus Express Gate (which I understand is based on SplashTop which runs in Linux), I get 0% packet loss.

This problem only seems to happen on this connection. I have used the computer extensively on other connections with 0% loss.

I am not a computer expert, so I apologize if I dont know the right term to use. If it is not clear, post something, and I will clarify asap.

Determined packet loss using pingtest.net and using the cmd window to ping google.com.

Attempted fixes:

*updated LAN drivers

*restarted modem

*Disabled Firewall and Antivirus

*Had my ISP reset the connection from their end

*reset hardware (take battery out, unplug, then hold power button down for 45 sec)

*A service technician from my ISP came out and could find nothing wrong with the connection. The signal strength was good.

I havent reloaded the operating system yet. I'm told it is unlikely to solve the problem since it has been happening since i got the computer. I would like to avoid this if possible lol.

Thanks for any input you have. I'm willing to try anything if it might help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ethernet? First suspicion is an incorrect or corrupted driver, but if the computer works when connected to other networks the driver is probably OK.

Sometime a NIC has trouble auto-syncing a speed with whatever is at the other end of the cable. In Device Manager right click on the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab - for the "Speed & Duplex" property try different values starting with 100 Mbps full duplex and 10 Mbps full duplex. Any improvement with any of those?

3. WestonN

WestonN Thread Starter

thanks for the reply.

yes, it is an ethernet connection if thats what you're asking. i'm directly wired to the modem.

i tried the settings then tested using pingtest.net:

100 mbps full -92% loss
    10 mbps full - 70% loss
    10 mbps half - 46% loss
    100 mbps half - 93% loss

I didnt see any prompt to restart my computer after changing the settings. I'll probably retry it again restarting between.

Any other thoughts?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You may as well go back to auto-select for the speed/duplex.

Yeah, I may have over complicated this from the start. The ethernet cable could be causing this. If you haven't already investigated it try another cable and try this cable with another computer.

Other thoughts ignore the fact that you are OK other places, but they won't hurt ...

Make sure you have the latest driver. If you already have the latest use Device Manager to uninstall it; reboot and let Windows find the adapter and reinstall the driver (this is for possible driver corruption).

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. WestonN

WestonN Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that I tried several cables.

I havent been able to try the other things you suggested. I'll probably do it tomorrow. Comcast escalated my case, and they are sending out another technician. I'll try the other fixes tomorrow if he doesnt find something wrong with the connection.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Is there anything unusual you can think of that I should have him check while he's here? I really know nothing about internet/networking

6. WestonN

WestonN Thread Starter

Its working now. I got a router and for some reason it fixed the problem. thanks for the help

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Thanks for posting the solution. Guess we'll never know what the real cause was.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice