1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: High CPU temp while gaming, solutions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sorrow, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

I am far from a hardware geek and truth be told, I'm only an entry level software geek for that matter. That being said, last year I built a computer mainly for gaming using a Asus P5E motherboard, Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66Ghz), and a Asus EN8800GT graphics card.

For the most part it works well enough when I'm gaming, but I feel that temperature has been a limiting factor using the stock fans & heat sink, plus the built in over-clocking utilities offered by the P5E using the Asus AI Suite software. Lately I have been getting more and more curious about it and often find that my CPU temperature is running around 82 degrees! Like I said, I don't know hardware very well, but I don't think that that's an OK temperature.

I have glanced at this extensive review of different heatsinks and have thought about buying one but wanted to get some second opinions; would it be overkill to put something like the ThermalRight IFX-14 into my box to get the desired improvements or considering the relatively budget box? I will admit that that costs a bit more than I'm keen on paying -- or is that temperature simply something I don't need to worry about? What do you think would be the best (and relatively cheapest) way to make my box run at a bit more optimal of a temperature while gaming?

Cheers!

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I don't know if you need a 3 and a half pound heat sink, sounds a little extreme. If the temp is ramping up from say 35 to 45 degrees under normal load to 82 under heavy load, its not optimal, but its not going to kill a good processor either. If its already in the high 50's or 60's without load and only goes up from there, you should try and remedy the situation with a better heat sink, better air flow through the case, verify proper heat sink thermal compound usage, proper seating, etc.

I'll let someone else recommend a good alternate heat sink that might do a great job at a fairly good price. I usually have good luck with the stock coolers.

3. BG-0

BG-0

Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme/TRUE Black, Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V offer a lot better cooling performance/price&bulkiness ratio. Even Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro could be enough for your rig.
    What's the case you used? Added any fans to it?

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

What are you overclocking too BTW?

At stock if your getting that I would check thermal paste and case fans.

5. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

I recently upgraded the stock Antec Solo 120mm case fan with a Thermaltake A2018 and have seen some improvements on the system temperature, but minimal to no change in the CPU temperature. Other than that I haven't added any fans, and although the case does offer space for a 90mm in the front I'm hesitant to install one because the system temperature seems fine; the CPU is the current bottleneck.

As far as I can tell the heatsink is installed correctly along with the Artic Silver coating on the top; is there a specific way to diagnose that? All 4 of the [pain in the butt] plastic pins are into the mobo, but they are hard to get at and really see if they are seated as deeply as they are supposed to be..

Edit - I'm overclocking it using the Asus AI Suite automated app that came on the motherboard CD; set to "Turbo" mode I have seen it getting up around 2.89ghz with the FSB running ~1400.

6. nysharkbait

nysharkbait

If it's the Arctic Silver from the manufacture, wipe it off and put some new stuff on there. For whatever reason I never have any luck with stock silver. I usually get 10 degrees better with my own application.

7. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Negative, bought it & applied it independently.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Re-opened.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is way too hot for a 6750. I have a 6850 running here and I have not checked its temps in quite a while however when it was my primary system, it ran around 40C or so with the stock cooler.

I would start by R&Ring the hsf and clean all parts. Apply arctic silver or other thermal compound.

Next I always recommend pulling the mb when doing socket 775 type hsf. This is for two reasons;
    1 With the board out of the case, you can inspect the four push pins to make sure they are fully engaged
    2 I dislike having to push so hard on the board to seat the hsf when it is supported only by the standoffs. I am always afraid of cracking the board or damaging a solder trace.

10. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Thanks for re-opening this CRJ.

Okay so I'm back from traveling and I am still having what I think are pretty high temperatures. I just ran the automatic testing in Real Temp 3.4 using Prime 95 to run threads on it and here are my results; can someone tell me if I am correct in thinking that it is running way too hot?

Also, right before running the tests I opened the case, cleaned off the processor & reapplied a fresh coating of Artic Silver.

[​IMG]

Edit: Also forgot to mention as it's not shown in that image but during the test my cores maxed out at 103 & 102 degrees Celsius respectively and now as I'm typing this they are at 40 & 42.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you pull the mb to change the hsf?

12. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Sadly no. From what you know so far do you think it is worth it to open it back up and go the whole nine yards? What about if I'm probably going to replace the stock heat sink with... well, whatever my research tells me is best for around $60? As in, should I go ahead and mess with it now or should I wait until I have the new one and see if I can get good enough results to skip buying a new one altogether?

Also what do you mean when you say "R&Ring" the HSF, which I'm assuming you mean the heat-sink fan? I totally agree on not liking to push so hard! Can't imagine why they decided to design it that way.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

R&R is short for remove and replace.

FWIW the stock intel hsf works fine. Unless you intend on hard overclocking, I would just use the stock hsf. By hard overclocking, I mean upping the vcore or cpu voltage. If you do that, then yes you need something a little more "Robust" than the stock hsf.

14. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Okay a couple of last things to mention before saying that this is solved: the SilenX iXtrema IXC-120HA2 Silent CPU Cooler that doesn't cost too much and is supposed to be a pretty good work horse does not fit in the P5E motherboard.

Secondly, I'm convinced that Socket 775 was designed by a sadist but thankfully the guy working at the shop I took my computer into yesterday has a lot more experience with hardware than I do with it. He wasn't able to get the after market cooler to fit on there but he was able to get the stock Intel cooler to fit on there better than it ever had before and now, thankfully, I'm running around 18 degrees while typing this and no higher than 58 while gaming so far.

Thanks for any and all help that was posted on here, you guys rock!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/851021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice