1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: High CPU Usage + Host Service Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by honeyking, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. honeyking

honeyking Thread Starter

In the past few days I have noticed a very strange and extremely aggravating change in my computer.

I draw digitally for a living, and I noticed that every so often (sporadically, not evenly spaced) my cursor would simply stop communicating for a second, just long enough to confuse my drawing program, making me have to Alt+Tab out, and back in before it would recognize the pen on the tablet again. At first I believed this was my tablet's fault, but after a day of dealing with this, I began to look more closely at my friend Windows Task Manager.

I noticed that every so often the CPU Usage would spike--dramatically. Never for more than a second, but just long enough to eat a huge chunk of the CPU Usage, and so I began a few google searches to see what I could find, just to give me some kind of idea. Through Windows Task Manager, and the Resource Monitor, I was able to pinpoint specifically one .exe that was causing a lot of usage: SVCHOST.EXE

I studied the many SVCHOST.EXE services, and finally began to force End Task the ones that ran under my User Name. My computer continued to run fine, no program crashes, and to my amazement, the CPU Usage significantly dropped! The only problem is that SVCHOST.EXE restarts itself no matter how many times I try to close it, and I'm at the end of my capabilities alone.

I also noticed that in the same span of time as this all began to happen, I began to get an Error now and again of something along the lines of "Host Service has Stopped Working" (I haven't had the error come up lately and I can't remember exactly how it was worded) but nothing seemed effected by this error.

I have not downloaded nor installed new software or programs in the past week or more. The only thing that I did download was the most recent Drivers for my Wacom Tablet, to replace the old ones, because I thought that it was my Tablet's fault for this whole mess. I'm really at the end of my rope, and I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't get this fixed. I'm completely unable to draw with these 'hiccups' going on every few seconds.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3839 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 702083 MB, Free - 561135 MB; D: Total - 13217 MB, Free - 1623 MB; H: Total - 78140 MB, Free - 13195 MB;
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2AB1
    Antivirus: None

2. susan44trident

susan44trident

I think you are using Norton or any other online back up service.. Please disable them and try again.. good luck

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    From what I can determine, the motherboard in that computer has 4 slots and supports up to 16 GB of RAM.
    It's running Windows 7 64-bit, so you should consider increasing the amount of RAM to 8 GB.

It doesn't appear that Windows 7 has been upgraded to SP1 - which was released over 2 years ago.
    Besides it being in a very outdated condition, it leaves your computer wide open to security exploits.

It doesn't appear that your computer has a full-time antivirus program.
    Are any security-related programs being used in it?

------------------------------------------------------

4. honeyking

honeyking Thread Starter

ALRIGHT. Just spent a few hours fighting with Windows Update but I brought almost everything up to date that was available;

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3839 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 702083 MB, Free - 558331 MB; D: Total - 13217 MB, Free - 1623 MB; H: Total - 78140 MB, Free - 13195 MB;
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2AB1
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Not Updated

The only thing it wasn't able to install was Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2667402);
    Installation date: ‎6/‎12/‎2013 8:17 PM
    Installation status: Failed
    Error details: Code 8024200D
    Update type: Important
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to cause the affected system to stop responding. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

I've tried installing it more than three times now, after restarting a few times, but every time it downloads it, and then fails during the Installation.

No, I do not have any security/virus/etc programs working. I do have Windows Defender enabled and I have ran a few scans, which come back clean. I'm currently running a Full Scan, which should hopefully not take years, and also come back clean.

And just for the sake of being curious, would increasing my RAM be something that I could personally do, or would you recommend I take it somewhere to have it done professionally? I don't mind taking my computer apart, but if it's something risky, I'd rather trust someone else to do it.

My computer seems to be working a little better (though I still experience the 'hiccup' issue in my drawing programs...) but I'm still keeping an eye on the SCVHOST.EXE under my User Name and every spike in the Network and CPU sections is directly related to that exe.

Edit; Apparently Microsoft Security Essentials caused Windows Defender to stop working in the middle of the scan, and now it's apparently turned off? I'm not sure what happened there, but now I'm trying a Full Scan via Microsoft Security Essentials.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to see you got Windows 7 up to date.
    If KB2667402 is the only security-related update that didn't install, don't worry about it.
    Windows 7 is now up to date and much more secure. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

Installing Microsoft Security Essentials (y) disables Windows Defender (n) which does a poor job anyway and which I purposedly keep disabled.
    MSE will run in the background and monitor your computer, but it can do only so much by itself.
    You need additional programs for combating other threats.
    Two that I recommend and use are AdwCleaner and SUPERAntiSpyware. (y)
    We can obtain them and put them to use later.

Let's see what's auto-starting and running in the background in the startup list.
    Click Start, then type MSCONFIG in the search box, then press Enter.
    When the small System Configuration window appears, click the "Startup" tab.
    Write down ONLY the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.
    If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.
    Submit those names here in a vertical list.
    Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.

6. honeyking

honeyking Thread Starter

I believe I actually used to have SuperAntiSpyware, so I'll grab both of those in a second.

As for MSCONFIG's Startup Item findings...

Microsoft Windows Operating System
    Microsoft Security Client
    AOL Instant Messenger (oops forgot to shut that off)

And that's it.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Other than the Microsoft Security Client (Microsoft Security Essentials) startup entry, very little else usually needs to auto-start and run in the background.
    It looks like you've already trimmed down the startup load pretty well. (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Go here, then click the blue "Download Now @ Bleeping Computer" link to download and save AdwCleaner.exe to your desktop.
    Close all open windows first, then double-click AdwCleaner.exe to load its main window.
    Click the "Delete" button, then allow the deletion process to finish.
    Click "OK" 3 times.
    The computer will restart.
    When the log file appears, save it.
    Return here, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log here.

Download and save and then install the free version of
    SUPERAntiSpyware 5.6.0.1020
    Make sure to update its definition files during the install process.
    Make sure to uncheck and decline to install any extras, such as toolbars and homepages, it may offer.
    Make sure to uncheck and decline to use the "Pro" or "Trial" version, if it's offered.
    After it's installed and updated, run a QUICK scan with it.
    When the scan is finished, select and remove EVERYTHING it found.
    Restart the computer, if prompted to, so the removal process can finish.
    Start SUPERAntiSpyware again.
    Click "View Scan Logs".
    Highlight the scan log entry, then click "View Selected Log".
    When the scan log appears in Notepad, copy-and-paste it here.

8. honeyking

honeyking Thread Starter

Okay, it's not letting me paste in the AdwCleaner log: the forum keeps telling me:

You've pasted an image in your post. Please remove it and upload images as attachments instead. You may also want to see how to upload a screenshot.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    To copy-and-paste a log here, do the following:

With the log file open, click Edit - Select All - Edit - Copy.

Return here and open a reply window.

Right-click within that reply window, then click Paste.

The log file will appear.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It's 10:00 P.M. here, so I'm shutting down for the night.

I'll check back here in the morning.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. honeyking

honeyking Thread Starter

No, that's what I'm doing, but whenever I go to click Submit Reply, it gives me that strange Image error.

Tried just adding both Txt files in the Attach Files Additional Option, since it's still not letting me post the logs when pasted directly into the reply box.

Attached Files:

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I opened and viewed both of your logs and see they found a LOT of threats that you removed.

Is the computer running any better now?

----------------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem you did with trying to copy-and-paste the logs in a reply window.

I've never seen this happen before, so I'm assuming it's a technical issue with this site.

I've made a complaint to the Administrators/Moderators.

----------------------------------------------------------

12. honeyking

honeyking Thread Starter

I've had time to really test it and be sure, but yes, it's definitely running much better now. The hiccups seem to have finally stopped, thank God. I'll admit I feel a little stupid that it was such a simple issue, but hey I'm glad I asked first instead of wasting hundreds of dollars, or trying to fix it myself and breaking my computer!

Thank you very much for all of your excellent help.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear your computer is running much better. (y)

You're welcome. :)

You might want to make note of my instructions in post #7 for AdwCleaner and SUPERAntiSpyware so you can put them to use on a regular basis.

Start out with once a week.

If that finds little or nothing, increase it to once every 2 weeks.

Regardless of what and how much they find, put them to use no less than once a month.

14. honeyking

honeyking Thread Starter

I will definitely keep that in mind, yes~!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice