1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: High latency in LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jcury, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcury

jcury Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I am having problem with high latency in my LAN.
    I have a win xp SP3 installed on the host pc, and I connect 7 ultra thin clients to it. I also have 3 tp-link switches in the network. The problem is that I am getting high latency when pinging from the host PC to the clients. About 12-55mS. The Cable is a FTP cable and the distance of the farthest client from the host is 83 Meters.
    Any suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FTP cable? Are these 100mbit or gigabit connections? What are the other clients doing on the network when you're pinging and getting the high response time?

3. jcury

jcury Thread Starter

No i am using a ftp cable but the thin clients are 100MBPS and so are the switches. Only the lan port on the server is gigabit, i tried to lower the speed to 100mbps but same problem.

during the pings the clients are not being used, just loged in.

also a weard thing, after more then 2 thin clients log in the problem gets even worse, the connection keeps dropping.

4. JohnWill

FTP cable requires more consideration in grounding, are you sure the cable is installed correctly? I'd try a plain UTP cable to connect in place of the FTP cable to see if that affects things.

5. jcury

jcury Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys.
    I finally found the problem. 4 of the thin clients had the same mac address i don't know why.
    just changed it and it worked.

thanks so much.

6. JohnWill

That's certainly odd! :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice