Solved: Hijack and yahoo issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MIDNIGHTMOON

I just go a computer up on the web and I installed all the spyware programs and adaware. I was able to check my yahoo mail then all of a sudden I couldnt. Something popped up when I was logging on to yahoo from either zone alarm spyware guard or spyware blaster. I dint look at it and hit yes and since then when I check yahoo it sends me to a blank page not my mail. This also happens with fire fox. Everything else works fine. I can check my mail from another computer on the same conection. Im confused it did work i think until I loaded fire fox, and or spybot. I think spybot did something but Im not sure. Thanks for the help. I ran all the normall spyware utilities and cleared all cookies temp files ect. Still no dice. Here is my log file.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:25:06 PM, on 2/13/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
D:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISUM.EXE
D:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISSERV.EXE
D:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\SymProxySvc.exe
D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
D:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - D:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - D:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] D:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = D:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{BF6F3FFD-B12B-47F5-9D31-482C818C50D5}: NameServer = 151.203.0.85,151.203.0.84
O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - D:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Personal Firewall Service (NISSERV) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISSERV.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Personal Firewall Accounts Manager (NISUM) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISUM.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Personal Firewall Proxy Service (SymProxySvc) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\SymProxySvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - D:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, First> your log indicates that you have not applied ANY Service Pack to XP yet....you are a sitting duck without those, no matter how many firewalls you use, and I see you are using two.

I don't see any antivrus program.

You need one.

Check the logs of the programs you mentioned that may have been the one that "popped up" when you clicked yes, and reverse the change that clicking yes made.

It may have been one of the firewalls, too. More than likely, it was Spyware Guard......you know the relative time and date you did the Yes click, so compare that to each log and a reference for Yahoo mail or something.....

Using a proxy connection can cause a problem like this....when you run SpyBot.

Were you able to get the latest updates for all the security programs you just installed OK?

MIDNIGHTMOON

Thanks for the fast reply. I didnt see anything in the logs there wasnt anything around that time. I have to look at spy bot. Right now I have more problems that are not security type things. I wanted to make sure my log was clean. I got rid of norton I didnt now it was still running in the back. I had shut it down I thought. I didnt want it but I quess the proxy was within norton. Now I dont have any internet. This was my daughters old comp and I have no idea the horrors that when on in this machine. Im surprised it works at all. I dont want to waste your time on a non security issue. I have some work to do to figure this problem out now. I have the lan set up right but it still wont connect to the net. I have the virus software and the service pack just havent done those things yet. Next on my list

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
hi, Have you thought about trying a System Restore? It may work, but often, people will turn it off to save resources and perk things up a bit, but it is not a good idea to run without it. I think Windows ME and XP designers knew it would be needed, don't you?

NOTE: If you have done major spyware or adware removals, you may not want to use System Restore, as it will probably all come back....or, you might have turned off Restore after cleaning things up....but, trying a Restore is one option you have.

SpyBot keeps backups in it's Recovery area, so you can check in the Recovery section (it's right on the main SpyBot window) and in the list of things it removed, see what you can find for that time/day and what looks like anything related to the Internet, Yahoo, etc...If you don't know what is good or not, post the entire log from Spybot.

Or, any of the other programs. I suggest you look at the Zone Alarm block/allow list, for a new item made at the time the problem happened....

MIDNIGHTMOON

Hi,

Well I got the interne back but I still cant access any secure sites. I tried changin things in ie and i set the clock and date which was wrong. In zone alarm I alowed everythin or ask first. This problem persists without running zone alarm. Spy bot only removed alexa type program. Maybe adaware had something to do with this. I will check that now. Im stumped. I would do the system restore but thats no fun plus I may be in the same boat after anyway. I turned system restore off at somepoint of reworking this comp. should have wrote down when I did that. I was going to clone the drive when I ave this all set up how I like it.

MIDNIGHTMOON

Hers some more info...could I have deleted something through easy cleaner? I ran all the processes in that program except duplicate files. When I go to undo there are not nearly as many things there just some programs I deleted. In adaware I seem to only be able to restore three alexa quarentined things not the other thirteen things I got rid of. Im assuming the thirteen things are related to the 3 alexas?

MIDNIGHTMOON

Hi,

Okay all fixed. I searched the forums and did everything I could that I found with no luck until I saw a few posts about the Norton security beieng set too high and not allowing secure sites to be viewed. I uninstalled norton but it still didnt work because norton was still on the job. Norton still came up in easy clean I couldnt uninstall it from easyclean because an error came up half way through so I just used the delete option on easy clean. This still didnt fix it so I went into regedit and got rid of everything I could pertaining to norton. I never came across this in reg edit before but some entries I couldnt delete. This still didnt work until I restarted my comp. I have now reienstalled spybot and everything still works fine. I remember seeing some posts one time about not being able to completely remove Norton without some special tool. I wish I could find that again in the forums but for now I have spent too much time on this. I could have just done a clean install in the amount of time I spent researching and tinkering well maybe 3 installs :) but thats no fun.
Well I just have to clone this bugger and I have my quick backup ready.

Thanks for the help

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, You can mark your thread solved, if you feel that you are done, just hit the Thread Tools button at top of the page and you'll see how. We didn't fix it> but maybe what you did will help someone sometime! Thanks for posting back.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online