1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hijackthis Help Requested

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by polak, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. polak

polak Thread Starter

Have run a virus scan (Avast), spyware scann (counterspy, ad-aware, spybot), all programs updated.

Would appreciate someone reviewing the attached log.

Thank you in advance.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 10:49:39 AM, on 3/21/06
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPERLITE\DKSERVICE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
    C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.savewealth.com/support/ie6/search/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.savewealth.com
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OOBE\blank.htm
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SUNASDTSERV] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SUNBELT SOFTWARE\COUNTERSPY CLIENT\SUNASDTSERV.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [DkService] C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DkService.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.savewealth.com

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Rescan with Hijack This.
    Close all browser windows except Hijack This.
    Put a check mark beside these entries and click "Fix Checked".

O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

Reboot.

Are you having problems with your system?

3. polak

polak Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

No the pc seems to be working fine.

I was thinking that the R1 entry for savewealth and the 014 entry for iereset.inf looked a little strange.

4. Cheeseball81

I was going to ask you about that. Didn't know if that was your preferred homepage or not.

Rescan with Hijack This.
    Close all browser windows except Hijack This.
    Put a check mark beside these entries and click "Fix Checked".

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.savewealth.com

O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.savewealth.com

5. polak

polak Thread Starter

Don't know where savewealth came from. My homepage when I bring up Internet Explorer is actually Google.

Have to go out for a bit. Will clean up Hijackthis log as per your recommendations and repost a new log.

Thanks

6. Cheeseball81

7. polak

polak Thread Starter

Before I started removing entries as suggested, thought it may be important to provide some additional info after the fact. Guess my PC wasn't running as fine as I thought.

1) I found numerous entries in my favorites which I had not placed there for major sites such as Google, Expedia, Yahoo, CNN, Bloomberg, etc. Over 20 of those sites in my favorites including savewealth which I have deleted

2) In C:/programs/internet explorer/signup, I found 28 icons for most if not all the same sites as were in my favorites including savewealth.

3) If I go into Internet Explorer>>internet options>>security I am locked out of viewing or changing any of the settings in Internet, Trusted, Restricted and Local. When I click on one of the 4 zones (internet, trusted etc) the screen freezes and I have to reboot to get out of that window.

4) A strange icon appeared on my desktop with the Windows symbol in it. If I look into properties for that icon it only gives me the number of kilobytes in the icon.

Not sure how I should proceed.

Thanks

8. Cheeseball81

Please download and run the following:

Ad-Aware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Install the program and launch it.
    First, in the bottom right-hand corner of the main window click on Check for updates now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.
    Then, in the main window: Click Start and under Select a scan Mode tick Perform full system scan.
    Then, deselect Search for negligible risk entries.
    To start the scan, click the Next button.
    When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and then click Next).

SpyBot S&D: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

Open Spybot Search & Destroy (Click Start, Programs, Spybot S&D (Advanced Mode).
    Click online, Search for updates, Download all available updates.
    Close all Browser windows, Click ''Check for Problems''.
    When the scan is finished let Spybot fix/remove all it finds marked in RED.

Reboot.

Run ActiveScan online virus scan:
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button.
    A new window will open...click the Check Now button.
    Enter your Country.
    Enter your State/Province.
    Enter your e-mail address and click send.
    Select either Home User or Company.
    Click the big Scan Now button.
    If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it.
    It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
    When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan.
    When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location.

Post the contents of the ActiveScan report along with a new Hijack This log.

9. polak

polak Thread Starter

Cheesesball81,

Thank you for your help.

I thought I'd get a little adventursome and do some repair work.I think the problems are now all fixed.

Scans with Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Counterspy yielded no identified malware. The scan by Panda yielded one malware item of negligible significance as it was tracking spyware associated with ATI technologies
    The Panda encyclopedia results for the one item it identified is attached.

Security Info / Encyclopedia / Search Results

Common name: Media-motor

Technical name: Spyware/Media-motor

Threat level: Low

Alias: popuppers.com Roings Search, Mediamotor

Type: Spyware

Effects: It collects information on Internet usage and the applications installed in the computer and sends it to Internet advertising companies.

Affected platforms: Windows 2003/XP/2000/NT/ME/98/95

First detected on: July 20, 2004

Detection updated on: March 4, 2006

In circulation? No

Proactive protection: Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies

Brief Description

Media-motor is spyware.
    Spyware programs are usually included in free applications downloaded from the Internet.
    These programs are installed on the affected computer, sometimes without user consent, without warning users that these programs will collect user de-tails, such as Internet usage, pages viewed, phone connection details, inventory of the applications installed in the computer, etc.
    Then, this information will be sent to Internet advertising companies, without the user's consent and without users realizing.

Last updated: March 4, 2006

While in safe mode I deleted the entries in Hijackthis that you recommended as well as all entries that referenced "savewealth". I followed that with deleting all the icons for major sites like Yahoo, CNN, etc including "savewealth" in c:\programs\Internet Explorer\signup and then deleted all registry entries for "savewealth"

The freezing on the trusted and Restricted Sites zones in Internet Explorer appeared to be created by the installation of IE-Spyad. When IE-Spyad was uninstalled, all zones within Internet Explorer were accessible and the freezing of the window stopped.

I have attached my latest HJT log for review and any additional recommendations.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 2:10:50 PM, on 3/22/06
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPERLITE\DKSERVICE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHSERV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHMAISV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHWEBSV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OOBE\blank.htm
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OOBE\blank.htm
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ashMaiSv] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ashmaisv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast! Web Scanner] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ASHWEBSV.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [DkService] C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DkService.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [avast!] C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab

10. Cheeseball81

Log looks fine. Good job (y) Things are running better?

11. polak

polak Thread Starter

Everything seems to be running fine.

Thanks again for the help.

12. Cheeseball81

You're welcome :)
    You can mark your thread "Solved" from the Thread Tools drop down menu.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice