1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "hijackthis" info and report site - FYI

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by redoak, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Having just had the help of posters here re HJT, I was curious about it and used a Google search. Below is the url for an interesting site I found. Comments by experienced posters re the worthiness of this site would be helpful to many I am sure. {redoak}

http://www.hijackthis.de/

2. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

Cool, redoak
    Now if only I knew what "possibly nasty" really meant :confused: :rolleyes: :D
    Going back to the analysis to have another look (y)

Carolyn :)

Edit: Yikes! It says:
    No active firewall was found on your system or the firewall you use is unknown to us. If you don´t use a firewall you should download and install one or activate windows xp´s own one. In case you got questions or you want us to add the firewall you use to our database, contact us at our forum.

I thought my XP firewall was "on" :confused:

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Security Center. There you will be able to check out the setting of your firewall. Suggestion: Use Zone Alarm free version instead of Ws firewall. Use Google search to find the download. If you install ZA. turn Ws firewall off. Only one firewall should be employed at a given time.

Here are other sites with info re hijackthis:
    http://www.help2go.com/article153.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#HowToUse

I would post a HJT log to this help site rather than any other, but comparisons may be interesting. Don't 'fix' anything with out full confidence in the source of the advice.
    {redoak}

4. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

I am not doing anything (but freaking-out just a teeny little bit). :eek:
    I will not "fix" anything. (y)
    One of the items that is "possibly nasty" is AVG free anti virus program.
    Will post a log, here, later on today
    but
    When I go to Start > Settings is not an option to get to where I find out if my XP firewall is/is not turned on.... :confused:

Also, I have been reading good (mostly) things about Zone Alarm so will look into it up: Not saying I will get it...just looking ;)

Thanks for this link, though, redoak.
    It is interesting to compare and read the other forum comments as well

EDIT: Here is an answer in a post where someone asks about the same response re: XP Firewall that I got:
    The problem is, that HijackThis fades out the services of Microsoft and one cannot determine no more in the log file, whether the XP Firewall is activated. Neither a process still another service in the log file point on the
    Firwall.
    Thus cannot be examined here thus, whether the Firewall runs from XP.

Well now...that's as clear as mud, eh :rolleyes:

5. amthmi

amthmi

mightyqueenc since you are xpsp1 and not sp2 your method to check xp firewall is different.
    Start/Control panel/Network and Internet conections/Network connections/right-click on your Lan
    and select Properties then Advanced tab then settings.

You may have an icon (windows firewall) when you get this far but I have sp2 so I'm unsure.
    Start/Control panel/Network and Internet conections

6. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

Whew! Thanks, amthmi :)
    It showed a checkmark in the box next to Internet Connection Firewall (y)
    I knew that...but forgot where to look and my posty note that's stuck to my computer has fallen off :eek: . I need a big bulletin board on the wall next to the computer for all these things I learn .... and forget.
    Have a great day

7. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Howdie doodie Nunion Gal :D Get Zone Alarm. It's free and works like a charm. I've been using it for ages and love it.

8. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

Hidy Ho (not ghetto talk :D ) Wimpy

Am going to do it, but have a couple of other issues to get to 1st.

I think I will start a new thread in security, stating that I want to get Zone Alarm and here is what else I have, does anyone see any conflicts or what do I need to do to make Zone Alarm and all my other "toys" play nice together.

Or is that too long a sentence for the thread title? ;) :D

Have a great day, Wimpy

Carolyn < keeps on truckin' :cool:

9. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I said it in one breath so I guess it isn't to long. ;) You won't have any issues with ZA other than having to make a decision when one of your programs wants to access the net. It will ask your permission first. Thats whats nice about it. You always know what is trying to get out and can grant or deny permission.

10. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

You read out loud, too? Must be a Canadian thing ;) :D

Thanks Wimpy, I totally trust your judgement (y)

Carolyn < starts to think this thread is hers but won't post in it any further so as to avoid public embarrassment :eek: :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice