1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HiJackThis

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Danyo, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danyo

Danyo Thread Starter

I tried running HiJackThis and I got this message about being denied write access to the host file.

It had instructions for Vista users to right click on the icon to bypass this problem. The only problem is when I right click on the icon the option for "Run as adminstrator" doesn't appear.

Attached Files:

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If Windows is denying access to the Hosts file, disable the UAC first, and run HijackThis again.

3. Danyo

Danyo Thread Starter

Hi Phantom, turning off the UAC did the trick. Does that mean everytime I want to run HiJackThis I have to turn UAC off? Is there any way I can just select HiJackThis to be excluded from that list?

Thanks again for the help.

4. Phantom010

By design, there is no exclusion possible for the UAC.

However, I did stumble upon these simple free applications. I have not tested them yet but it might be an interesting workaround:

Elevator

UAC Trust Shortcut

5. Danyo

Danyo Thread Starter

The puzzling part is, in the message box tells Vista users to right click on the icon then select "run as administrator" then it'll work. I right clicked on the icon an that options never showed up.

6. Phantom010

7. Danyo

Danyo Thread Starter

Thanks again Phantom.

8. Phantom010

You're welcome!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice