1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] HIMEM.SYS file missing on reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by miketwomey, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. miketwomey

miketwomey Thread Starter

I installed a WD 60 gig HD on a PB 200 Pentium as a secondary HD using the Western Digital EZ-Install software. The computer is running Windows 95. Upon trying to reboot the computer, all drives state that "HIMEM.SYS" is missing in the Windows directory. My recovery disk fails to recognize my CD-ROM, which was a replacement for the original, even though the recovery disk was made after the CD installation.

I have several other new computers running Win 98 and found the HIMEM.SYS file on them. Can I just copy this file to the other computer using DOS commands? What would they be?

I have a Win 98 installation CD that I would like to load on this computer if I could only get it to recognize the CD through DOS or other commands.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

We have sporadically run into this problem at my place of business and I made the following notes, which resolved it in most cases:

When Norton causes PC not to boot up after a warm boot:
    Edit the autoexec.bat file to read: set dos16m=2
    If that still doesn’t do the trick, Edit the config.sys to read: device=c:\Windows\himem.sys /m:1
    (Note…windows or the location where himem.sys resides)

This may or may not apply to your situation.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

To use a CD you only need to boot with a Win98 startup disk and select the option "start with CD-Rom support". Watch the screen for the drive letter that gets assigned the CD-Rom.

Typically the kind of problem the previous poster is referring to will still allow a safe mode boot, that is the give-away that a modification to the autoexec.bat or config.sys files may be needed. To try safe mode, runing Win95, tap f8 repeatedly and see if you can access the startup menu.

To replace himem.sys on Win95 from DOS, you need a Win95 version. You can get one from a Win95 installation or a Win95 startup disk. Boot the Win95 startup disk and at the a:\> prompt enter:

copy himem.sys c:\windows

remove startup disk and cntrl-alt-del

A further option for getting using the CD-Rom is to go into the BIOS and see if you can configure it to be first in the boot order.

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/1998091615025007

4. miketwomey

Thank you both for your responses! Was doing kid stuff last night and will spend time on this project this morning. I'm a lawyer with some 8-9 years of PC experience, although pretty limited DOS skills. I have no pressing need for this computer, but enjoy the challenge of trying to get it running without a trip to the shop. I appreciate your assistance and will report back with my results. Have great weekends.

Mike Twomey

5. miketwomey

Rollin' Rog,

Some initial results for your comments:

I tried a Win98 startup disk from newer computer,along with Win98 upgrade CD in CD-ROM. Did the "start with CD-ROM support" as you suggested and got access to the CD-ROM and partial run of Setup when this message appeared:

" Setup Dectection Message

Message SU0013

Setup cannot create files on your startup device and cannot set up Windows 98.

If you have HPFS or NTFS, you must create an MS-DOS boot partition. If you have LANtastic server or SuperStor compression, disable it before running Setup.

See Setup.txt on Setup Disk 1 or the Windows 98 compact disk."

I don't know what HPFS and NTFS are, but don't think I have either LANtastic or SuperStor.

I just have one Win98 Upgrade CD. Not sure where to go from here.

Second. Tried the other method you suggested of tapping F8 repeatedly and got the menu offering Safe Mode, which I selected. The process began and then gave this message:

"Windows is bypassing your startup files.

The following file is missing or corrupted:

C:\windows\himem.sys
    C:\windows\dblbeff.sys
    C:\windows\ifshlp.sys"

I assume I am missing at least 3 files now, not just the himem and am going to try to find those and copy them as you suggested as your last method.

Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike Twomey

6. deanas

deanas

Hi miketwomey:
    It wouldn't hurt to look at the c drive from dos.
    when you boot from startup disk type:
    c:
    and press enter. then type:
    dir /p
    and press enter. This should show any files and folder
    on the c drive. What do you get?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is the hard drive compressed?

8. miketwomey

Did what you suggested even before you suggested it. I apparently made the new HD the C drive and the old one D when installing the new! Doing C dir/p shows only the following files:

IO sys
    Commmand com
    autoexec bat
    dlgchbw exe
    dlgli exe
    dlgsw exe
    plg lnk
    chk40s exe

Looking at D dir/p gives me some 390 files, including HIMEM.SYS, but when I type the command "D:cd\windows\win" I get the message that the HIMEM.SYS is missing. I get the same message even after attempting to copy the HIMEM.SYS from the Win95 startup disk to d:\windows.

I obviously still have something out of whack!

9. ~Candy~

You need to reverse the drives....you can't start windows on another drive that isn't the boot drive.

10. miketwomey

Jeff,

I don't think that the original C drive was compressed in any fashion, but am not 100 percent sure. I haven't used this machine for many months.

Since I have a new, second HD and a Win98 upgrade disk, I am wondering if it is possible to get around the original Win95 problems, figure out the problem with recognizing my CD-ROM, install the Win98 and then go about cleaning up the machine using Windows Explorer?

Again, I appreciate you folks sharing your experience.

Also, is it possible that I could have confused the IDIE controllers by the manner I attached the new HD?

11. ~Candy~

Want to be sure you saw my last post....you need to have the drive with the operating system on it set as the master drive, you need to reverse the roles of both hard drives. Set the old one back to master and the new one to slave with the jumper pins on the drives....they are connected to the same gray cable, correct?

12. miketwomey

Jeff,

I think you have me on the road to recovery here.

This computer had its original HD vertically mounted on a frame wall. I couldn't "chain" link the new HD, which had to go in a horizontal bay, with the original HD because the spacing on the flat gray cable wasn't long enough. So, I linked the new HD with the CD-Rom, making the CD the master and the new HD the slave, put the old HD on a single flat gray cable and the floppy on its own cable and then reinstalled them all to the three slots of the IDIE, which are impossibly hard to reach on this computer.

I clearly got the 2 HD cables mixed as you deduced and have reversed them after much finger bending and cursing. Now my Win95 loads, although I am getting 2 icons for the floppy on Windows Explorer (only one operates the floppy), and icon for my C drive and one for the CD-ROM, but no recognition of the new HD, which I guess is supposed to be D.

I'm going to first try to reinstall the new HD using the EZ-Install software that came with the Western Digital HD and, if that works, then try to upgrade the OS with the Win98 upgrade disk.

Thanks for your help and does my next course of action sound reasonable?

13. ~Candy~

If you put EZ-Bios on one hard drive, you'll need to put it on the other one as well......if not, windows will never see both hard drives.

BTW, I'm Candy :)

14. miketwomey

Candy,

I'm sorry, I had just noticed the Jeff Valdez comment or quote at the end of your message and missed your name and icon at the top left of your message. Having looked at your photo, let me observe, if I may, that you are a very attractive lady and also ask you how the weather is in Acapulco?

So tell me, please, should I use the EZ-install? If I do, will it be obvious how to load it on both HD's? If I should not use it, how to I otherwise go about recognizing and installing a new HD? Is it some operation on the initial setup operation that shows the various drives and what types they are?

Thanks again.

Mike

15. ~Candy~

Weather here is great :) Thanks.

Let me ask what your ultimate plan for the new hard drive is? Are you going to end up reformatting the old one and use it for storage? Is the new one going to continue to be the secondary drive? Are you going to put an operating system on it?

My first and basic concern is that you are going to format the wrong drive.....I'd feel safer if you unhooked the one with the information on it, boot to the new one with the software for the drive, and the drive should tell you if you need to install the overlay program (EZ-Bios) on it....if your current bios recognizes the complete size of the new hard drive, then we don't have to worry about installing EZ-Bios in the first place.

How large is the other drive and do you recall having to use an overlay on it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice