1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hitachi HDD 250GB Partitioning Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doogdoog, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    I just bought a Hitachi 250GB HDD 7200rpm, 8MB cache on sale today and have a few questions. Is this HDD any good? The sale was for a 200GB Hdd but they ran out and gave me this one for the same price (149.99-80.00 rebate=69.99). I thought it was a good deal for the price and I want to use it as a storage for my files. What would be the best way to partition this hdd? TIA

Asus P4C800E Deluxe Mother board.
    CPU P4/3.0GHz 800M 478P/512K HT RT
    1 meg ram.
    Windows Professional XP2

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

If this is the drive; IBM/Hitachi 7K250 250GB ATA100 Hard Drive, then it's a good deal at $69. I'm assuming it's the ATA not the SATA line.

As far as partitions go there are a lot of options. Is this going to be purely for storage, no OS? In other words, a secondary drive? If so I'd make a video partition, a music partition, a game partition and a backup partition for the main drive and it's Office documents, maybe Quicken files, whatever.

All that assumes that's what you'll use it for. You're going to have to be more specific if you want partition sizes, etc., or even if there's a need to partition it.

3. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha griffinspc,
    Thanks for the reply and yes, this is the Hitachi 7K250 250GB but it doesn't say ATA100 but I assume it is. Yes, I am going to use this drive only as a secondary drive with no working OS. I want to backup my regular hdd with the OS and have some partitions for video files, music, and games. The problem I have is that I don't know how large a partition XP and my bios will support. TIA

mahalo,
    doogdoog

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

As long as you use NTFS instead of FAT32, there is no practical limit on the size of the partition. You can certainly make a 250GB one, that's what I would do. If you need to resize later you can always use Partition Magic to change it.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

As Arcadion said you can do this with NTFS as one 250 GB chunk but I would personally partition it for this reason;
    This would be my choice, a partition large enough to backup the OS, a full XP install with SP2 and all your apps. I can't tell what you have installed of course (Office 2000 or Works or whatever?) but you can then add a percentage for comfort, say 10%. Remember, 250 GB's is a lot of size.

Then depending on your mood you can have a partition for your video. One for music and one for games. I'd do this because I wouldn't want my backups being interspersed with my storage and because I like my drives organized. With todays drives speed isn't generally an issue so a partition isn't necessarily going to provide that but it can be a factor when considering fragmentation, ease of playback, finding files, locating game play files, etc.

Just my opine. ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice