1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hmm Whats the problem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HaroRider, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

So i just set up my router once again this time everything seemed to go ok, but I got an Ip Adress error with the netgear software. The funny thing is it says im connected (double monitor at the bottom right) The thing is, when I right click there and go to status then support, there is no Default Gateway. The regular IP adress is there and so is the Subnet Mask adress. So from my little knowledge and some commen sence I think this is why im getting the error, am I right? If so how can i fix this?

2. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Ok maybe I was wrong I was able to get the Defaukt Gateway adress by connecting to my laptop, but I still get nothing when I click on Internet Explorer. (It still says I am connected though) :(

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

4. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-AB-E7-0C
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.168.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

5. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

I wasnt sure if you wanted it when it was connected to the modem directly or to the router.. but that is to the router (when it does not work) If you want it so its when its connected to the modem directly I can provide that as well

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This will do as a start. The system is not getting an IP address from the router's DHCP server. A 169.254.x.x address is the default assigned by Windows when it can't find a DHCP server. If you've tried a new cable, and a different port on the router, try resetting the router to factory defaults and give it another go. If that still doesn't work, let's try resetting your TCP/IP stack.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

7. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Ok I did as you said but I have already tried a new wire before, I also switched from port 1 to 4 and no good. The first command I ran said something along the lines as successful netsh winsock reset catalog, but the second command did not say that it just went in and I got no response so im not sure if it went through. Although this happened I tried running through the router again and it still didnt work (still has the "connected" at the bottom right) but nothing when I try to acess internet

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just as a test, since another computer works, what happens if you manually enter in all the IP information. This would be the IP address, subnet mask, gateway and dns. Just pick a IP address that is one number higher than the other computer is getting.

If this fails, and since you have tried a new cable and port on the router, it is entirely possible that the network card is simply defective. If you have a known working one, you might swap with that as well.

But you are way past a winsock registry problem if you can't even get an IP address assigned.

9. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

I dont quite understand what you mean. Just to clear things up: When I post on the forum I am running right from my cable modem. As of right now I am trying to run one single computer through my router (after I establish that I want to connect my Xbox 360 to my router) Could it be the case that my network card is bad even if I can sign on fine when my computer is connected to my modem directly?

10. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Oh yes and I know where I can obtain dns ip subnet mask etc but I would not know where to put it in

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Getting the specific new information that it works when you are connected directly to the modem is very helpful. And then yes, now knowing that, it would not be your network card, the winsock registry entries, or much to do with the computer at all.

So now I would take a look at the router and make sure it is configured for DHCP. It may be as simple as it is not configured to supply IP address information for computers connecting to it.

12. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Can you help me configure my DHCP? From what I understand you do that through the router? http://and the ip on the modem? I did that and I cant acess my modem like that for some reason it didnt even promp to put admin name and password.

13. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

i meant to say ip on router not modem

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not sure what router you have. For starters you might check with the documentation that came with it.

15. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Alright Bob, after some time going through my netgear book and talking to netgear support they came to the conculsion my router is bad. So they said that they would allow me to send it back and recieve a new one I just have to pay for shipping the old router there. So i guess all in all its not so bad

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!