Solved: Home Network Access from Virtual Machine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dondd

I recently installed VMplayer on my Win 7 machine, and I installed Win XP on the VM. So far everything seems to work fine. However, on my home network I have a Linksys NSLU2 mini network server which has a flash drive plugged in that contains my files that I access from any of my home PC's. No problem accessing it from the Win 7 machine, but when I try to setup a "new network place" on the XP system, I get an error telling me that the address is not valid. The format I'm using is:
\\Server Name\Share Name.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I appreciate any input!!

jiml8

Because you have VMWare running, as far as your Win7 OS is concerned, the computer has two NICs. One NIC is the real one, connecting to your LAN and the other one is a virtual NIC that connects to the virtual machine.

To do what you want to do, you need to set up internet connection sharing in Win7, thus binding the virtual VMWare NIC to the real NIC.

dondd

Guys, Thanks for the quick responses. I did attempt to setup a shared folder per Rearden. I think I did it right, but it still can't find the network drive. I did follow the directions starting on pg. 43 of the document. It seemed to setup OK, but it gives me an error msg. (can't find the folder). On page 44, para. 6, it says: " Type the path on the host system to the directory to share". The host system path is " \\Server Name\Folder_Name " Whether I type it in or do the Browse, the result is the same.

Re: Jiml8's NIC suggestion, I'm not sure I understand what I need to do. I can tell you that I can access the Internet from either machine...but I don't know if that's what you mean.
Thanks,

Rearden

Banned
The folder you're sharing on the host computer is c:\<path>\<foldername>. It's not the network share name.

I've never set up Internet Connection Sharing in VMs to share folders or Internet access.

TerryNet

Terry
I haven't used VMWare Player, but I'm pretty sure the settings for the virtual network adapter are very similar to those for VirtualBox. The default will give you, I think, internet access as if the host is doing ICS. Another will give you a private network with just the host. The one you want is 'bridge,' which puts the virtual system on the same local network as the host. With that one you should be able to access other computers on the LAN.

dondd

TerryNet, Thanks!!! That did it...I now have access to my network flash drive via the VM. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

dondd

TerryNet...one small item. When I tried to open a file on the network drive (in this case from Roxio), I could't see the drive in the "open" window. I decided to Add a Network Place, which now worked since I bridged the adapter. Now it's 100%. If I want to open a file on the network, it shows up in My Network Places. Also, I can now save a file to the network.
Regards, Dondd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online