1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Home Network - File Share Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by james4eva, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james4eva

james4eva Thread Starter

My computers are struggling to see each other on my home 'network'. I'm sure it will be something stupid that I have ommitted to do. Can anyone help please?

My desktop PC is wired through a wireless router. My laptop accesses the internet, wirelessly through the router.

Both computers are able to access the internet without problem. I have WEP security enabled. Both computers have the same 'workgroup' name. Several folders are set for 'file sharing'.

I am the only user of the machines and therefore, administrator.

The desktop has never been visible from the laptop.

The desktop, occasionally 'sees' the laptop but the files can never be viewed, being stopped by a message which mentions 'administrator'

What am I doing wrong or missing?

BTW, the desktop is running WINXP Pro and the laptop WINXP Media Ed

Thanks.

2. jackdw

jackdw

It's a problem somewhere. I have the main PC on media ed and another on XP pro.

Have you got any firewalls on either computer? I had an issue with norton firewall blocking traffic.

3. james4eva

james4eva Thread Starter

Yes, I have Zone Alarm installed on them both

4. jackdw

jackdw

Have you tried disabling the firewall and transferring files? I recommend that you disconnect the internet connection before trying this. Don't unplug the network cables as then file sharing won't work at all. I'm sure your smart enough to realise that!

5. james4eva

james4eva Thread Starter

Okay, thanks jack, I'll give it a try and get back to you. Thanks again.

6. james4eva

james4eva Thread Starter

Right jack, it looks as if it is as you suspected. I turned off ZA on both machines and could immediately see the shared files! (y)

I could access them, i.e. play an mp3 from one PC on the other but I could not move a file from one to another.

When I turned ZA back on I could no longer see the other PC again, even on the 'medium' security setting in ZA :(

Any idea how I can get around the firewall, and, why when I could see and access files, I couldn't move from one to another?

Thanks

7. jackdw

jackdw

The firewall blocked the request to see shared files.

It's been months since I last used zonealarm. Add both the computer's IP addresses (even its own) local addresses 192.168.x.x and subnet if required to the trusted computer list or something. you'll have to look yourself unless somebody experienced in zonealarm can come help.

8. james4eva

james4eva Thread Starter

Thanks guys I'll give them a try tomorrow, I'm away to work now. I've been messing around so much that somehow I've lost my internet connection for the 'wired' desktop. Gawd knows what I've done now!!

Cheers.

9. jackdw

jackdw

Start > Run > cmd

Type into the black window (without quotes)
    "ipconfig /release" press enter
    Wait until 0.0.0.0 pops up in all fields.
    then
    "ipconfig /renew"
    Wait until it gets a new IP and details, you will get the same thing just the 0.0.0.0's will have IP's in them.

Usually works with me.

Have fun at work :D

10. james4eva

james4eva Thread Starter

thanks for that jackdw. I tried what you suggested but it didn't work. I kept getting a message saying 'This operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation'

I started to look at what that meant and found that I had checked 'allow Internet Connection Sharing' on my 1394 connection! This for some reason was stopping my desktop from accessing the internet!!

So, I am now okay (internetwise) on the desktop and laptop.

All I need to do now is try to configure Zone Alarm to allow connections from each of my computers. 'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers again!

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen. :)

12. jackdw

jackdw

John, this isn't solved yet.

"All I need to do now is try to configure Zone Alarm to allow connections from each of my computers. 'll let you know how I get on."

Apologies for my delay in getting back to you. Bad storms in england knocked my electricity off for the last 26 hours.

13. james4eva

james4eva Thread Starter

Same here jack, well, for a while anyway! :eek:

Right, back to the task in hand!

You were dead right on the Zone Alarm thingy! I disconnected my internet connection and had a play around with ZA. I clicked on the ZA help and followed the instructions for file sharing.

It took a couple of goes to get it right as some website I tried gave my IP wrongly. I followed your suggestion for the run/ipconfig and got it from there.

I think I'm about sorted now (I have even shared my printer connection!!).

I am quite computer literate but obviously whan it comes to Networking, I haven't a clue. It's new territory to me but I really should have realised that it was the firewall stopping my progress!

Well thanks very much for your superquick replies and your patience jack. Cheers!!! (y)

14. jackdw

jackdw

It all happened here before. I had a problem with the PC fine. I could fix that. The network broke or the internet didn't come through, I was stuffed.

Glad to know you got it working and printer sharing is REALLY handy at times.

Thanks for marking it as solved.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice