Solved: Home Networking Advice Required

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DJ Masters

I'm seeking advice on how to create a more extensive home network.

Just finished doing the basement refurbishment thing. I've only been in the house for a year and am the 2nd owner but I discovered that the house is wired with Cat5e to every phone jack in the house. I didn't know that when we moved in. So, I continued the cable installation in the basement. Now I'm deciding how best to proceed with connecting it all up.

Currently, I've got a wireless network (based on a DI-624) and 3 Mbps ADSL but I want to centralize the phone, network and video distribution in the house, and provide a more secure wired solution within the house where practical. All current computers run WinXP, but I will be experimenting with Linux in the future. I've already tried, but I haven't spent enough time with it yet to get it to connect to the Internet.

I see two options, and both involve a 16-port (or two 8-port) switch in the basement. Do I: 1) Feed the ADSL to the new switch and then to the wireless router, or 2) vice-versa. Does it make a difference?

I suspect that if I feed the ADSL to the router then the switch, I'm limiting the bandwidth to all of the other ports to <100Mbps since that's all I'll get out of the router.

Any advice?

Dallen

I would think that you should connect the dsl to the router and then the switches. Are they switches or just hubs. My thinking is that dsl and router are your most important to set up and then the switch/hubs will already be configured.

DJ Masters

Thanks, DB

Although I have the router, I haven't bought the next layer yet - and shouldn't it be a switch, not a hub? Won't a hub will just rebroadcast all of the network traffic and provide no control over what hardware can be plugged in, or what data is permitted (parental control issues here)? I also have a NDAS which I want to have available over the whole network for files, video and music, but I don't think it matters where it goes.

I've thought about this again and realize that since the ISP service is only 3 Mbps, it is the limiting factor, not the switch, correct?

So, DSL into the router, out on one port to the switch (let's say one at the moment), and out to all of the wall access points. Any wireless requirements are handled by the DSL router.

Dallen

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The DSL router connects to a switch of the correct size to accommodate all of the CAT5 drops connected to the output of the router. Since the router is going to be used for wireless service, I'd try to place it in a central location in the house to give you the best wireless coverage, and then run a single wire back to the switch location.

You are correct about a switch not broadcasting, but I don't know what the cost difference would be, and with your network being contained it the house, I don't believe that should be much of problem. Especially if your lease times are set for greater periods of time. Other than the broadcast issues and route table, a hub should provide you with the same functionality

The router will handle the wireless connections. A central location should provide the best coverage. That will be a little bit of trial and error.

DJ Masters

JohnWill,

Not sure I understand what you mean by "...a switch of the correct size to accommodate all of the CAT5 drops connected to the output of the router."

I currently have a 4-port router. I want to feed up to 16 ports that are currently unterminated (i.e. I haven't attached the RJ45s to the cables yet, but I'm confident that this is a process I can learn and do myself with the right tools). Are you advising me that I can have only a 4-port switch and support only 7 connections total (one router port being used to feed the switch(es)?

DB,

The wireless works very well so far and I am not anticipating moving the router from the current central location on the main floor. Wireless access from the backyard is proven. I already have Cat5e to this central location and I figure that this becomes the uplink to the switch in the basement, through a network control panel (remember I've got existing phone service, this new network configuration, and some video (satellite) to distribute).

Control Panel from Levaton - $180Cdn
Switch - $80Cdn
My time - free (if it works)
Experience gained - priceless

Thanks guys, anything else I should be considering?

Dallen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online