1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hooking up both PC's to the net from cable modem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamieNJ, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Finally caved and bought my kids a new Dell, with flat panel monitor. But the old W98 is still ok (even though the monitor is two feet deep!). Have a cable modem. Can I just buy some inexpensive piece of hardware (a router?), to stick cable modem cable into, and then two cables out to give both PC's internet access? Is it that simple? If so, what should I buy? And will Internet connection be much slower with both in use? It may be worth to see my kids sitting side by side and not fighting.

2. Indigo_Hound

Indigo_Hound

Yep ... it is pretty much that simple. You basically have two choices:

1) wired router (connect the PC's to the router via cables)
    2) wireless router (connects using a wireless card or cables)

Wired routers are dirt cheap now. If you elect to go with a wireless router you will have a bit more set up and a little more cost. You will also need to by a wireless card for one of the computers (most newer laptops come with one). A wireless card (or USB wireless) costs about $50. Set up on a wireless router is a little more but with a little patience you can figure it out.

I have a DLINK wireless router that I connect two computers two (via cables) and a laptop wirelessly. Works fine. Connections will slow down a bit but unless they are really hard-core they probably won't notice.

Your main choices will be DLINK, Linksys, or NetGear.

Hope this helps,

-woof-
    Blue Dog

3. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

4. Indigo_Hound

Indigo_Hound

Yep. That looks like it.

If you can get a good deal on one a wireless router would give you the capability of moving the computers apart later (in case they start fighting ...haha). Most have wired ports in the back as well as wireless capabilities. So you wouldn't need to get the wireless card right away. I bought my DLINK DI-524 a while back for $19.99 after rebates.

Most of them probably come with one cable. So you will probably only need to buy one.

Good luck!
    -woof-
    Blue Dog

5. que_A

que_A

One thing to think about - wireless is great, but if you plan on playing multi-player games using both computers on the internet - wireless connections are slower and will have lot of 'lag' time, which is very frustrating during gaming.

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    With wired routers, you can also pick up ones with combined wired and wireless. Not that expensive either.

7. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Hi all. Bought the router online (DLink DI 524), got it delivered, and hooked it up tthis morning. I installed and configured the router on the main PC, and then just plugged a network cable from Port 2 on the router to the NIC on the secondary PC (W98), rebooted, and now have internet access.

Working great. Two kids can be online at once now.

Right now just using the wired connections. Is there anything I can/should do to avoid having neighbors pick up the wireless connection? The install diskette was not that helpful on this. Thanks.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Just enter the setup for the router and in the wireless section, disable it.

9. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Can you explain how to do this? Is it via the install CD wizard, or something else?

10. JohnWill

No, if you open a command prompt and type: IPCONFIG, you'll see a number of IP addresses. The Default Gateway IP address is entered in the Internet Explorer address bar and it'll take you to the router's configuration screens. The configuration should be explained in the manual. It should look something like this, this is the D-Link DI-614+ router.

Attached Files:

11. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Thanks. I got to the config screens, and changed the setting to Disabled. It then popped up a box that said "The device is restarting...", with a Continue button. After a minute or two, I clicked the Continue button, and it brought me back to Wireless Home with the Wireless Radio setting = Disabled. Is it ok that the SSID Broadcast is still set to Enabled?

12. JohnWill

It doesn't matter what else is set, the whole wireless section is dead when you disable it. :D

13. MooseGundr

MooseGundr

Hey one thing I ended up picking up was an Amp for my cable modem, All I had to do was call the cable company and tell them my connection was slow, and request one specificly. They didn't give me any hassle, and it helps out a lot

14. JohnWill

Unless you have a specific issue with low signal levels an amplifier is not required, and will only add another point of failure.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice