Solved: Hope it can be done

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ITSNOTU

Can you just remove the old memory card and replace it with a new one?
I have a Dell Deminsion 2400 with two slots. The original one is 256 KB,
the new one is 512 KB. From what I've read they have to be the same size. I know its simple but I'm lost on this one. Could someone help???

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
If they are the same type, both either PC2100 or PC2700, leave the 256MB and plug the 512 into the empty slot, unless you're replacing the 256 because of a problem with it.
The max memory for that is 2 GB so you can even plug a 1GB in each slot.

Edit: CLICK HERE for the memory specs.

Welcome to TSG. First thing is your memory sticks are in mb not kb. They don't have to be the same size. they have to be the correct type. Your Dell Dimension 2400 takes PC 2700 DDR or PC 3200 memory sticks. You have two slots each can have up to 1 gig for a total of 2 gig combined.

I have a 256 mb stick in one slot and a 512 mb stick in the other for a total of 768 mb in this Dell Dimension 2400 that I'm on right now.

I see throoper has already made the point.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can go to any of the memory manufacturer websites to see what you can get for your computer and buy it from them.
I usually go to Crucials website, but if you know what you need you can probably get it cheaper on Newegg.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online