1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Horizontal lines on lcd screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zbar, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zbar

zbar Thread Starter

Hi people, I have a problem with my Lenovo T60 laptop screen where horizontal lines appear on the screen at random times as I sometimes have long stretches without this problem. Turning the laptop off and back on seems to fix the problem short term.
    Any idea what is causing this?. I have read online that it might be a loose ribbon cable. Some real help from experienced techs would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. maceman

maceman

Hi Zbar,

One possibility could be that those lines comes from your cellphone.
    Or if you have external speakers too close to your screen, that can also be the reason.
    Of then the drivers needs updating.

3. zbar

zbar Thread Starter

Hi Maceman, thank you for your response. Although I dont remember having the cell phone near the laptop when the lines appear, it could be true. I dont use the laptop near speakers and drivers are subject to what ever I can get from the lenovo site which are not kept current as nVidia drivers. Nevertheless, I think I have the latest installed. Now that you mention interference, I have noticed the lines when I use the laptop in the kitchen near the fidge. Could electric motors cause this problem?

4. maceman

maceman

I think that could be possible, if it happens only near the fridge.
    Hope there is nothing wrong with the hardware.

5. dannyn

dannyn

You could also try changing your refresh rate.

6. zbar

zbar Thread Starter

Thanks Maceman, I will certainly keep this in mind. I will try work away from any interference and see if that helps.

7. zbar

zbar Thread Starter

Thanks Dannyn for your response, should I adjust the refresh rate higher or lower?

8. dannyn

dannyn

I would try both and see if either way helps your issue. If it is in interference issue, then this would not help.

What OS are you using? Or do you know how to do it already?

9. zbar

zbar Thread Starter

Thanks dannyn, I'm using win7 ultimate 32 and know how to set the refresh rate.
    I am going to mark this thread as closed for now and if the refresh rates and keeping away from interference does not help I will be back.

10. dannyn

dannyn

Sounds good. I will be here if you need more help. Also make sure that the cable is secured tightly on both ends, this should not matter as you should see some color distortion not refresh rate issues, but just try it.

11. zbar

zbar Thread Starter

Thanks dannyn, will do and thanks for the sites.

12. dannyn

dannyn

Your welcome.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/929763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice