Solved: Hotmail Send to Mail Recipient 404 Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hard8

I have had this problem on my computer and my mothers since Dec 27 2004.

RightClicking on a .jpg, SEND TO:, MAIL RECIPIENT: with Hotmail as default Mail Client.
Still opens Send pictures via email window to resize if you want, good. But then regardless if you resize or not it opens an IE window trying to attach to hotmail but gives a HT*P 404. With below as a sample(edited because can not post URLS). The .jpg is then automatically renamed with a ^ afterwards in this case "JJ&Robert.jpg^"

I have disabled Norton Internet Security, uninstalled firefox, gmail notifier, google toolbar, made sure windows firewall and popup blocker is off. Set my computer as DMZ server on My Netgear WGT624 V2. Checked my Send to commands in win.ini and pulled out a lot of hair.
This is the first computer problem I have not been able to fix with a preexisting answer from scanning all the Tech/Help Forums.
So PLEASE help, THANKS in advance for any suggestions.

start?action=compose&subject=Emailing%3A+JJ%26Robert.JPG&body=The+message+is+ready+to+be+sent+with+the+following+file+or+link+attachments%3A%0D%0D%0AJJ%26Robert.JPG%0A%0D%0D%0D%0ANote%3A+To+protect+against+computer+viruses%2C+e-mail+programs+may+prevent+sending+or+receiving+certain+types+of+file+attachments.++Check+your+e-mail+security+settings+to+determine+how+attachments+are+handled.&attfile=C%3A%5CDocuments+and+Settings%5CRobert%5CDesktop%5CJJ%26Robert.JPG%5E%3A%3AJJ%26Robert.JPG%3A%3A%5E122211%3B

The message is+ready to+be+sent+with+the following+file or+link+attachments%3A%0 %0D%0AJJ%26Robert.JPG%%00ANote To+protect+against+computer+viruses%2C+e-mail+programs+may+prevent sending or receiving+certain+types+of+file+attachments. Check your+e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.&attfile Documents+and+Settings Robert Desktop Robert.Jpg Robert.JPG

Computers with problems:
1. Toshiba M30 Laptop running XP SP2, Norton Internet Security 2005, Ozemail DSL, Netgear WGT624 v2.

2. Dell Media Center PC with Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2, ROGERS ADSL, Norton Internet Security 2005, New Netgear Router.
*Both computers still automatically login to Hotmail via Start,Email.*
This is the only feature my mother uses so it is very important to her. I hate not being able to fix this for her. She has already been on the phone with Microsoft and Dell and they didn't help, Dell made her uninstall SP2 because the guy said that you can get corupt versions, not when it's an automatic update, idiot. Anyways it didn't Help.

I am having the EXACT same problem -- have you found any new information as to the fix on this? No similarities in our programs though (I dont have Firefox, Google, etc).....

In searching online, I found that a few other people are having this problem and all of thier postings are dated from Dec2004 - today which means this is a relatively new issue.

Please let me know if you've heard anything or gotten a fix for this. thNks

hard8

I got a response back form Hotmail:
Hello,
Thank you for writing to MSN Hotmail Technical Support.

This is Anna replying to your concern about encountering an error when sending a link or file through Hotmail as default e-mail client. I understand how inconvenient this must have been for you. Please accept my apology for not getting back to you sooner.

After reviewing the information you provided, I have determined that we need to do further investigation on this incident. Although I do not have a definite time as to when this will be resolved, please be assured that I am engaging additional resources to help me look into the issue thoroughly. We will contact you as soon as we gather sufficient facts to present to you for updating purposes.

I appreciate your patience and continued support.
Sincerely,
Anna Y.
MSN Hotmail Technical Support

Isn't she polite. I also contacted Microsoft and they asked for more info and screen pics, which I happily supplied. Haven't heard back from them in over two three weeks now, doubt I ever will.
It's not looking good. Wish that Microsoft was more supportive of a feature that is so commonly used, especially since, from my reasoning, it was caused by them in late December. IT'S FEBURARY NOW!

Glad to know you are not running any of the programs I originally thought could have caused this. I made sure and pretty much cleaned out my program list to be certain. PAIN IN THE ***, when you still can't fix the problem and Oh my god annoying.
Well Good luck! Hard8

hard8

Lewie1 You Rule, I have attached the simplified (For my Mother) version below. Thanks again, a simple fix for such an annoying problem that neither Hotmail or Microsoft could solve for me. (y)

To fix problem:

Click Start, Click "Run..." (It's below Search)

Type "regedit" Click "ok"

Click on the little plus sign next to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

Click on the little plus sign next to "SOFTWARE"

Click on the little plus sign next to "Clients"

Click on the little plus sign next to "Mail"

click on "Hotmail" or the folder on the left of "Hotmail"

You should see two entries in the window to the right, in that window in an empty area do a right click, a "New" box will appear, choose "String Value"

Name it "posturl" (without quotes)

Double-click posturl and in the "Value Data:" box type exactly as given below: (hint you could cut and paste)

http://hotmail.msn.com/secure/start

Click "Ok" and close Registry Editor

The difference should take effect immediatly, no need to reset.

Woulda been nice if Microsoft had broadcast the fact that it was changing the extension on its mail server! BOOOOO to them...

I wonder why more people didnt run into to the same problem since the extension changed for everyone -- maybe a patch fixed it.

anyways, thanks for all the help guys!

until we meet again (when microsoft fails to mention something else).... take good care.

;-)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online