1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How can I make sure it's gone?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wish i had a mac, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wish i had a mac

wish i had a mac Thread Starter

When I use the Add/Remove Programs thingie in control panel, there are several programs it won't delete from the list when I tell it to. I assume these are mostly programs I tried to get rid of but didn't properly uninstall, so fragments of them are left that the computer can't locate or some such thing. Some of them I thought should be gone completely, but they still appear.
    Any tricks for removing the programs completely so I can save precious hard disk space?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you have manually deleted programs by methods other than Add/Remove Programs, the entries will still be there. You'll need to edit the registry to remove the entries that show in Add/Remove. I don't recommend editing the registry unless you feel competent to do so.

You'll need to start regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. Within that key are the Add/Remove entries. Some names are obvious (ATI Display Driver) and some are not ({D84E40A2-380A-46E9-A750-6F55D398D973}). Deleting the appropriate keys will remove their entry in Add/Remove Programs. Note: This only removes the entries in Add/Remove Programs, it does not uninstall any programs.... you'll need to manually remove the files and folders that were left behind by improperly installing parts of them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice