1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How can I stop XP from trying to install 'PCI Simple Communications Controlle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Audity01, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it's my inbuilt 56k modem. I've tried to locate the vendor/device using the PCI database but there's no information there. If I try and install it using the 'Found New Hardware Wizard' it says "Windows cannot find the necessary software". Is there a way to make Windows stop asking me to install this device? Or do I have to locate and install the device drivers manually?

Also, if I do have to install the drier to get rid of the wizard, will a generic driver work or does it have to be the one for my specific modem (which I don't know)?

Thanks,

-AudiTy =o

2. BG-0

BG-0

Maybe a wrong driver would stop the nagging. But if 'tis inbuilt (that I understand to be intregrated to your MB) it shouldn't be PCI stuff.I'm not too helpful right now, but GL.

3. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm going to use SIW to try and identify the device in order to find the correct driver.

-AudiTy =o

4. SB305

SB305

If the modem is integrated in the motherboard, and you don't intend to use it, have you tried disabling it in BIOS? You can get into BIOS by tapping a specific key immediately on starting the PC. The key is often F2 or Delete but it may be a different one on your PC.

5. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Thanks SB305, but I had already solved my problem before I read your post! I was able to find the driver required based on the information provided by SIW, so now I don't get the prompt to install it anymore :)

Thanks all,

-AudiTy =o

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/728405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice