1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How can I tell if my PCI X16 is not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverhalo, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverhalo

silverhalo Thread Starter

I couldn't get any output from the graphic card to the monitor. All 3 cables are hooking up (dvi, hdmi, vga) to the pc monitor. I switched back and forth between cable (input) but monitor keep on display that there is no input. Only the the vga from motherboard (integrated) is working. First, I thought the graphic card is busted, so I replaced with another one (new one) but still no output to the monitor. Is my PCI x16 slot is no longer working?

Thanks in advance for your help.

silverhalo

2. silverhalo

The Device manager only recognized the integrated graphic, but not my dedicated graphic card. I am currently using the integrated graphic. So I guessed that my PCI X16 is no longer working. What are my next steps?? 1) get the PCI x16 repair or 2) It's not worth it to repair. Buy a new computer??

Thanks for your help.
    silverhalo

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

4. dai

dai

include power supply details

make
    model
    wattage

check the card is seated properly

5. silverhalo

Hi all,
    Here is the info from TSG system info tool:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, x64 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2941 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 430 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 948495 MB, Free - 865417 MB;
    Motherboard: ELITEGROUP, MCP61PM-AM
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled
    Gateway GT 5432
    The NVIDIA Geforce 6100 is integrate. I was using a dedicated card for at least a year until now.

6. dai

dai

and the power supply is

make and model of the card you were using

did you upgrade the power supply to cater for the cards demands

7. silverhalo

Dear dai
    the power supply is original of 300W. The graphic card is xfx HD6670 1G. Since I bought the computer new many year ago, I installed a HIS graphic card and i lasted until this year (2012). I just recently replaced it with the xfx for 5 months or so. Could it possibly that the card draw too much juice for the PSU to handle?

Thanks dai.

8. dai

dai

9. silverhalo

Dear dai,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I still have 2 questions:
    1) If I replace the power supply then my PCIx16 issue get fixed?
    2) I am thinking about replace the motherboard with the same model, series, chipset etc..., if I do that, then I don't have to re-installed the OS?

10. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    As dai suggests, get yourself a quality PSU first, then if need be, get yourself the motherboard. I would almost bet your new PSU will take care of your issue.

11. dai

dai

i agree

12. silverhalo

Just one more question due to my inexperience here:
    If the PSU is not enough, would I have the issue almost immediately, not 6 months or so down the road would i

Thanks for the responds and help guys. Really appreciated it.

silverhalo

13. dai

dai

i would change it now the supply may go and take other components with it

quality supplies usually just go,but oem ones have a habit of taking other parts with them

14. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I also agree with dai. The PSU is the most important part of your computer. Think about it a second. You spend a lot of $ on all the other parts; but then put in a PSU that could wipe all that out in one swift poof? The PSU should be the best you can buy and come with a 5/7 or longer warranty. The PSU'S dai showed you are the kind you want in your system, and can be used further down the road when you want to upgrade.

15. silverhalo

Thank you so much for all of your expert help. I will go ahead and purchase the PSU. Just in case the problem won't solve, then I probably go with the new motherboard route.

Again thank you guys.

silverhalo

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice