1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How can I tell...???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brian_oates33, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brian_oates33

brian_oates33 Thread Starter

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, but my question does have to do with networking…I recently moved into an apartment complex and I have my wireless network up and running. It is secured but I was wondering if there is any way that I could tell when someone tries to get onto my network?

2. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

I'm not a networking person, but I would say you could check your router configuration, and it'll show you the results. My dad does that and checks the router and know who is online. Be sure to create a password so no one would hack your network, I guess.

3. reezin14

reezin14

What kind of router do you have ? Most routers today will let you check your DCHP client list to let you know who is logged onto your network.First get your gateways ip address.>start>run>cmd>ipconfig/all>record default gateways ip.Type default gateway into web browser and look for something similar to DCHP client list. And as you've already stated that you're running security,but you never know --maybe changing your setting wouldn't be such a bad ideal.

4. thehorace

thehorace

Yea most routers show who is connected ;)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What encryption are you using? If you are using WPA or WPA2 and have a long and random key, 20 characters or more, I wouldn't worry about it. You are very secure with WPA and a strong key.

6. brian_oates33

brian_oates33 Thread Starter

I’m using a Belkin router and it’s WPA 2 secured. I found the DCHP client list and now know how to use it. Thanks Guys…

7. dchambers4296

dchambers4296

What you can do is download network magic ( www.networkmagic.com ) and what this software has is a intuitive network map that displays the PC or device name, its IP address, subnet, OS, etc. It is an all around good software for you to monitor your network.

8. JohnWill

I can't imagine why he'd need Network Magic, he's already solved his issue. :rolleyes:

9. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice