1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How can I UPGRADE my Lenova ThinkCentre A50 8148-22U?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Old_Fart, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Hi, everybody.

I'm trying to figure out a number of things about 'switching' everything important from my current (old model) computer over to the Lenova ThinkCentre A50 8148-22U (which I received as a gift).

My main concerns are:

(1) How can I get all (emphasis on 'all' because I understand MS and others embed data into very low (unaccessible regions of hard disks!)? I'm concerned about making sure the System Registry gets copied completely.

Is there a software utility or a 'cable option' that performs a true "bit" (mirror) copy from one HD to another HD? My current HD has all my extremely-difficult-to-install/update info on it already. That's why I would prefer using its data. I want to be able to boot my current drive's OS instead of the OS already installed on the 8148.

I'm not certain at this point of writing what type/model my current HD drive is. (I didn't look before writing this post. Heh heh. Sorry!).

I read on Lenova's website forum where someone said to another user: "Since your computer has ultra-ATA connectors, make sure that internal drives (including hard drives) you purchase are ultra-ATA compatible. Most drives on the market are serial-ATA drives".

(2) If my drive is not "ultra-ATA compatible," what do you recommend?

(3) I need to use my current AGP video card by installing it in the AGP slot on the 8148-22U. The reason is, that my HDMI monitor plugs into ports on my video card (ATI X1550 AGP). I can't afford a new expensive video card.

I tried several times, but the 8148 doesn't recognize the existence of my video card. I went into CMOS at boot-up and selected the "AGP" option, hoping that would tell the computer to NOT use its default onboard video. I hoped it would "see" my video card in the AGP slot, instead. It didn't. It won't.

I really need help with this issue!

(4) System RAM upgrade. Lenova's web sites fail to provide "required voltage" information in their RAM specifications. How do I shop for RAM without buying the wrong type? I need at least 2ea 1GB strips, that will work "out of the box" for this brand/model computer.

Lots of questions! I certainly hope you or others have been down this road with the Lenova ThinkCentre A50 8148-22U computer. I'll appreciate any workable advice, and I'll supply you with other information that you may need.

Thanks!
    Larry
    ("Old_Fart" on the forums).

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you moving from another ThinkCentre A50 8148-22U to this newer one? If not, you can't copy your entire hard drive, including Windows installation to it. You have to reinstall your programs and copy over your data.

3. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Thanks, DoubleHelix, for replying so quickly! I've had 2 posts on Lenova's forum for a week and never got one reply. You give me hope.

I suppose I'll try to use my current HDD in the new computer. BTW, my existing (old) computer is NOT a Lenova. It's one I put together myself eons ago!

I found out which HDD my current one is. It's a Western Digital WD1200JB (EIDE) drive. It's an old one, but it already has my OS and many other major apps on it.

I'm hoping that I receive a reply (a new, 3rd one that I just now posted) on Lenova's forum. I asked them if my new computer (the Lenova A50 8148-22U) will accept that type of drive. Their User Manual .pdf specs say:

I wasn't sure about the difference, if any, between my EIDE drive and a IDE drive.

Thanks again for your reply!

Larry

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't take a hard drive from one computer, stick it in another, and boot it up. Windows doesn't allow for that.

5. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Oh, my God!

I'm not only disappointed, I'm utterly disgusted even more with MS.

I believed that if I bought all the hardware (which Windows runs on) and a HDD (which Windows runs on) and the MS OS itself (which is "supposed to run" on the hardware I bought) that the reefer-smoking engineers at MS would have been concious enough at some point to realize that people DO WANT TO UPGRADE their HARDWARE without having to either buy another overly-priced Windows product or else perform REDUNDANT RE-INSTALLATIONS of software that they already have!

If Windows runs on either machine (and, the HDD itself), then why can't MS program their OS to "see" NEW HARDWARE, CPU, RAM, MOUSE, etc.????

Isn't that what Microsoft "first claimed" when they began to advertise their "superior" Windows OS years ago?

It was supposed to handle all these types of issue automatically! That's how they said it was supposed to work.

It should only need to install/update current drivers or else notify users that they need to update certain (specific) drivers!!!

Plain and simple.

If it doesn't work that way, then I believe MS has found a comfortable place IN BED WITH HARDWARE MERCHANTS! We are now forced into buying and installing everything new, even if we've already purchased what works for us!

MS is still back in the 18th century when it comes to making products that work for paying customers.

I simply wanted to use what I paid for on a different piece of metal!

Geeesh! Now what?

I've got two computers. One old that still runs, but barely. It gives me a FATAL ERROR #132 every 5 minutes while I'm playing World of Warcraft (Wrath of the Lich King). Microsoft cannot even determine the cause of the error!!! Some OS that is!

I'm pissed. Please accept my apologies for my venting.

Thanks for your help and advice. I just don't know what to do next to upgrade to a better CPU -- without having to spend 2 months struggling with re-installations of major software apps, their updates, hardware device drivers, AT&T 2-wire router/modem, etc. etc. etc.

I am over 64 years old. I'm too tired to put up with the incompetence of Microsoft to deliver an OS that doesn't require hiring an expert to get it to work as advertised.

Thanks, my friend. You at least responded to me in plain simple American english. That's something I wouldn't have gotten from Microsoft's "support"!

6. Hughv

Hughv

7. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Thanks, Hughv for your reply.

I've blown off some steam and now feel somewhat better. Heh heh.

I already have the pdf Hardware manual (in addition to their User Manual).

Hughv, what would be the likely and/or certain results of putting my hard disk drive into the new computer?

Would attempting that corrupt my hard drive's data and thereby making it unusable when placing it back into my older PC? I'm just curious as to why it won't run when placed in a new computer case. I know I'm very ignorant of these things. That's why I'm asking the experts here.

8. Hughv

Hughv

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There are instructions floating around on the 'net about how to move a Windows installation, but the results aren't guaranteed. You certainly can't move the drive back and forth between two computers. If you managed to get it working on the new system, it would be a minor miracle, and I wouldn't recommend tempting fate in moving it back.

Of course this assumes you used a full retail Windows XP installation disk and license key. If Windows came installed on the old computer or was installed using an OEM disk or key, you can't legally move it to another computer even if it were technically possible.

10. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

DoubleHelix,

Thanks. That explains a lot!

All of you have been helpful, and I appreciate it very much.

Now, I guess I'm left with seeking the answer to my original question, item (3).

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S --- to all of you!!

Larry

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice