1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How Can I Use my Old Restore Partition Disk on a New HDD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by valerieleger, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valerieleger

valerieleger Thread Starter

I will try to explain this the best way I know how.
    My hard drive is failing and this is where the partition disk is with Windows XP Media Center. I have a bootable cd to restore but I can't install Windows with it on a new hard drive.
    I replaced the Hard Drive with a new one. A Seagate Barracuda SATA 1 TB
    My desktop computer is an HP Pavilion, all specs shown here:
    HTML:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1843642
    I have a Windows XP Professional CD so I installed that on my new Hard Drive.
    Now I have problems with everything it seems. I managed to install the drives for my geforce ethernet to get the Internet running but it hangs every few seconds for about 10 minutes at a time.

I am ready to throw this computer out the window, literally.

If I can manage to boot into the failing hard drive that I used to have, is there a way I can make a ISO cd out of the partition I had there .. and could that install Windows XP Media Center on my new hard drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!